Possible to cast a shadow from an object without that object being vi

Christiaan

Is it possible to cast a shadow from an object without that object being visible?

For instance I have two buildings next to each other and I've workgroup referenced one into the the other. Can I cast shadows from one building onto the other without turning on the visibility of that building. I don't want to make the other building visible in one elevation because it would mask the one I'm trying to show.

That is lazy. It's one or two polygons. I could do it faster than I can explain how to do it...

To be lazy in this regard is a goal. It's more like an allergic reaction to techniques that involve static information outside the 3D workflow. Sure it might take a few moments to draw it once but what if you want to alter it tens of times? Maybe at the last minute on a deadline? Maybe involving multiple buildings and dozens of views? And what if other people besides yourself are involved in the editing (they all need to know a technique over and above the one they're already using, which someone needs to take the time to explain/show to them)?

Christiaan, I agree with all of that and I understand and I sympathize. However I still remember doing all that by hand, with a pencil. Oh, and an eraser!

Hehe, hey I'm not that young! Me too, my first 5 years was on a board :) loved it but ever since I've also been dreaming of the day I would be creating a virtual model and producing everything from that. Glad to say I think I'm finally there.

Don't forget the scalpel blade!!

• 7 months later...

Shadows without any other objects is possible with the Artistic Renderworks, "Line and Shadow" option for the background render (no foreground render). Just use class overrides in your VP to change the pen color for all visible classes to "none"...all objects that cast shadows are still technically in the VP, but they're just not visible this way. Changing the "Edge Thickness" to the minimal value helps give the resulting shadows a more refined look. I use this technique as part of a two VP approach, with the shadows VP underneath a separate hidden line VP with annotations for line weight, hatches, color fills etc.