Lines in renders where they're not wanted is driving me nuts

Christiaan

Question

14 answers to this question

Thanks Dieter, that is one way to look at it. But it's not the way I look at software UX.

To me the software is to blame here. Yes I could learn a myriad number of methods to avoid this issue and then teach them to everyone in the office. Then explain to my director why he needs to remember these methods rather than getting on with his design. Then explain to him why he needs to work to ten decimal places when designing buildings made of lumps of clay.

It's kind of like getting a flat tyre on a bike. You could either keep buying the same crappy tyres and attempt to avoid all the potholes and glass on your route, or you could just get tyres made for the job.

The reality is I will learn to avoid these problems (and post my file :) ) but we shouldn't have to, hence posting in the wish list.

P.S. you'll have to start invoicing me soon ;)

Here's the example. I have a pitched roof with a parapet wall running into the wall under the pitched roof. Given enough zooming in and aligning I'll probably sort it out but what a pain.

The other way would be to draw the parapet wall and ground floor wall all as one wall, but I'd rather not.

Thank you, I'll try that. Regarding that vertical peaks bug, the thing is I did manage to get rid of the line of the other side (have a look).

And while it is more logical in one sense it potentially creates more work because you then have to manually adjust length of that triangular section of wall every time you adjust the roof pitch or position. Whereas the way I had it set up all you had to do was 'fit to roof'.

Christiann, I agree there should be a software solution. We have options in a viewport for turning screen and layer plane objects off and on, we should have the same options for any 3d view. What I do is put my 2d objects into a special class, and turn that off for perspective saved views. But, inevitably, either I or someone else slips up on class assignment.

Christiaan,

Under Line Rendering Options for HL if you turn off intersecting lines these line may go away. You can also change the smoothing angle to 1 degree which may make this line go away. We are not seeing this line as your image depicts. By now you are most likely having a brew at the pub.

And, in fact, I can't get that triangular bit of wall to fit to roof because of this issue:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=167904

So not only do you have to manually lengthen that bit of wall but you have to manually adjust the peaks too. Same again with the wall below.

It's true that you need to do it manually, but it is pretty fast. You can lengthen your wall in 3D, so you can see to where it starts/ends. And VW has very good snaps in 3D.