Slab Tool: How to make a composite steel-concrete slab?

cberg

I was somewhat disappointed to see that the slab tool did not have composite steel and concrete decking as one of its typical slab components, since it is a typical construction type. Since I am new to VW 2012, perhaps there is another way to do this. Anybody have any thoughts as to how to do this?

Edited by cberg

Not sure if I asked my question correctly...

I can make this object in 2D, and that is how we've been making our wall sections. In fact we've created special linear material objects that allows us to "draw" this.

What I am looking to do is to make this a smart BIM modeling object that functions as a 3D slab. Is this possible in VW2012? See attached.

I was somewhat disappointed to see that the slab tool did not have composite steel and concrete decking as one of its typical slab components, since it is a typical construction type. Since I am new to VW 2012, perhaps there is another way to do this. Anybody have any thoughts as to how to do this?

LOL...Buy Scia at $20k and then import anything in concrete by IFC into VWA....it amazes me that they dont wont to touch anything concrete and Im suspecting maybe that the programers are susceptible to "Clinker rash"? Seriously now,Im very disappointed too.

The manual static process is to extrude each component,Deck,Concrete fill and Top finish.Assign classes to control the visability for different views. Theres nothing BIM-smart there. HTH

Thanks for sharing the files and the tips on how to use this tool. I still would like to see a true concrete slab tool.

We would typically draw turn down edges and steel edge angles in our wall sections. Your hatch would need to have directionality to it, meaning if a section were cut in the other direction you wouldn't see the corrugation.

For now it might make sense to keep the slab generic and "draw 2-D" over the wall section. But I've been studying your basic drawing organization (with the help of Dutch translation tools).

Very informative to see how you organize your files.

Thanks again,

Cb.

Edited by cberg

As a structural engineer I would completely reject that detail...the structural one way spanning ribs arent shown on decking plan?Structural details shouldnt be Superficial

Hopefully you are not referring to our detail. :-) But I guess we can fix that since we are in DD, lol.

Does the slab tool address the issue of framing direction at all, even with a wood system. Seems like an important feature to get right?

CB

I just looked at your detail... and the construction price scares me ...but on the other hand if you leave the structural elements out it brings the price down (not to mention the building)

LOL...When it comes to 3D Bim and structural elements I hope you have lots of money for variations VWs/AC/IFC docs are a soft target and IMO clients wont risk it when they'r shown cheaper alternatives.

We would typically draw turn down edges and steel edge angles in our wall sections.

Very informative to see how you organize your files.

Thanks again,

Cb.

You can add the details of the sides on the section. This is how VW works: get as much of the section as you can and draw the details over it. Or if you directly want a complete section that's correct: You need to draw everything yourself.

If you have any further questions about organisation, just ask them. I'm a master in it.