What is OPEN BIM?

Your Open BIMs not even close to whats being done in Revit and Bentley LOL..and the data is being checked by real engineers not artists/modelers (NO OFFENSE INTENDED)...Ive been consistantly responsible with BIM/Data for a decade now I only wish Robert and Co took some responsibility....

..and the data is being checked by real engineers not artists/modelers ...

What's the relevance of this in this discussion?

(I'm a artist/modeler.... and I work(and have worked) with VWs, Bentley, ArchiCAD, Revit and try to avoid AutoCAD, and in 90% of the cases when exported files are sent and received I need to call these 'real' engineers and explain for them how to use their own software to open and use these exported dwg/ifc files they have received from 'us'!?)

Edited by Vincent C

I couldnt care care less "Hows its exported" Take a pick Save as VW file, 3D DWG,IFC or parasold...If you send it to me as a VW file I will send it back as a VW file (Corrections,Scripts WS & data)...All data is check in VW (You would have never have known the Cut and Fill volumes were out unless I told you & IFC isnt going to save you) and why would I use an IFC viewer? Real engineers,they are the only ones certified to check data( Geo, Civil, Structural, Mechanical,etc NOT SOFTWARE ENGINEERS)...NAG needs to get there own house in order first (my 2 cents)

.....so what is your contribution to this thread and its queries so far (except for blowing your own whistle)? You don't seem to think much of VWs but you seem to continue to use it why? I'm not trying to start a fight, I want to understand why you seem so negative and if so if you have answers to solving it......I don't give a rats ass how good you are, I want to be able to use VWs effectivly in all situations and want to avoid Revit, ArchiCAD, AutoCAD and Bentley etc if I can, so far VWs is hanging on by the skin of their teeth but I'm not ready to give up yet I just want to get the job done relatively fast.

Edited by Vincent C

I use VW's along with many other real engineers Unlike you I can do everything in this program Design, engineer build and check data...stick around you might learn something about Cut and Fill volumes.

spend more on fixing this program...before persuing Open BIM->IFC (fanciful ideals)..

This argument is kind of like "why build art galleries when we need more hospitals". The two are not exclusive.

As a small player Nemetschek has a vested interest in open standards so that they can play ball too.

spend more on fixing this program...before persuing Open BIM->IFC (fanciful ideals)..

As a small player Nemetschek has a vested interest in open standards so that they can play ball too.

10 Major Architecture Failures-No 7

Lotus RIVERSIDE NOT to be confused with DC RIVERSIDE

Collapse caused by incorrect volume calculation surcharge?

Inadequate footings?

My point is if you want to play with the Big Boys with Open BIM make sure your datas correct and you havent forgotten the Foundations/footings...or youll be known for all the wrong reasons (Not as a leader in site design)

I take checking data in VW very seriously

Instead of trying to figure out what Open BIM is ('you'll' be flaying that horse till your blue in the face if 'you' try) why not instead post wishes for 'your' own definition and needs of Open BIM!?

Because there's a difference in this case between open BIM and Open BIM?.

Open BIM? is an initiative by buildingSMART in conjunction with a bunch of BIM vendors which defines Open BIM?, and to use the logo in order to demonstrate you're part of it all you need to meet the requirements.

And I now realise they have a FAQ page, which I missed at first. You can read exactly what Open BIM? is here: http://buildingsmart.com/openbim/faq#section-10