Producing 2D elevations from 3D model for consultant

Having produced a 3D model and rendered elevations we now need to send 2D elevations to an energy consultant in DWG format so he can measure them off.

Even though Im using Renderworks + Hidden Line the hidden lines are not exported to DWG, so I've had to create additional sheet layers with Hidden Line-only elevations. Is there any way to avoid the need for this additional set of sheet layers/viewports/renders?

But the main problem?and I've had this before but never got to the bottom of it?is that when the consultant opens the hidden line render file in Autocad and tries to double click on the elevations in paper space in order to get through to them in model space they're locked in some way and he can't get through to the model space for them. What's happening here and how do I avoid it?

Your in luck Christiaan, hit upon that yesterday.....

First you are right in that you need to copy your Section and Elevation VPs to a new sheet and have them as Hidden line only:

1. Because you need to change the VP scale to 1:1

2. Because you will need to layout the elevations and sections in a logical manner for the consultant.

Here's what I've done:

1. the above

2. Export to Dwg

3. in the export dialog you need to make sure you have checked the 'Export viewports as 2D graphics in model space' this way the export becomes a block in model space, basically what consultants want, all they need to do is explode this block to get the lines version.

Bob's your uncle.

Edited by Vincent C

Wow, what a rigmarole. Thanks for this. We could really do with something a bit more automated (why can't VW just produce a DWG that people can click through the paper space to model space?).

What about the sheet layer size? Do I ignore that?

Or do you mean they need to be changed during the DWG export process?

2. Because you will need to layout the elevations and sections in a logical

manner for the consultant.

Do you mean side by side?

What about the sheet layer size? Do I ignore that?

Yup

Or do you mean they need to be changed during the DWG export process?

No not necessary.

2. Because you will need to layout the elevations and sections in a logical

manner for the consultant.

Do you mean side by side?

Well my thoughts were mainly with the consultants, they will be using them as a trace and then having the sections and elevations at the same level (or at least at logical displacements) makes using them easier.

Side by side is good but not on top of each other obviously.

Wow, what a rigmarole. Thanks for this. We could really do with something a bit more automated (why can't VW just produce a DWG that people can click through the paper space to model space?).

Been asking for that for quite sometime!

What I want is to be able to export a sheet so that:

The sheet exports as Paperspace with the options we presently have +

Each VP exports as a separate dwg with the viewport contents as modelspace with options for exporting rendered VPs as images, hiddenline lines or a combination.

(I believe this is partly in place, at least Plan VPs export as dwg models however are superimposed in the same model which is quite useless for consultants using ACAD.)

(why can't VW just produce a DWG that people can click through the paper space to model space?).

Well basically the problem lies with ACAD, a dwg file can only have one model space and a large number of paper spaces(in VWs terms one DL and a large number of SLs). You understand, it is amazing they can work with that effectively, talk about being reference file dependent!

This in its turn means that VWs needs to put all DLs Plans and sections and elevations etc. in one model layer in ACAD all superimposed. So far I think they've only been able to do this with (limited it) plans.

Edited by Vincent C

Yeah, I usually export the sheet as is (without xref intelligence and then export each Plan DL as separate dwg model files, the problem till now has been section and elevation models, these I usually only have as VPs on SLs......but with the method above I can fairly quickly get these as dwg model files (the setup only needs to be done once).

Just locate section line off plan. When you export to dwg it will make the corect viewport in acad.

Just to make things clear, SL export in VWs is fine, what we basically need is export capability for individual dwg model files for all plans, sections and elevations 1:1 from a certain SL. Preferably only 2D linework, but options for shading hatches and textures would be nice too.

Edited by Vincent C
  • 1 month later...

First you are right in that you need to copy your Section and Elevation VPs to a new sheet and have them as Hidden line only:

Just need to put the record straight here Christiaan. I was partly wrong here, (strange nobody commented on this, is there nobody actively exchanging dwg model files?!!!) there is actually no need to create a new Sheet with VPs at 1:1, if you export the Sheet with the 'Export viewports as 2D graphics in model space' checked, everything automatically comes out scale 1:1, so all you actually need to do is hide the information you don't want to export i.e.. Title Blocks etc.

The problem with creating a new sheet with VPs at 1:1 is it completely botches all Annotation that was present in the original VP.

Like I said, strange nobody corrected this earlier.........

Edited by Vincent C

Hey you guys are FUNNY...."producing 2D Elevations from 3D Model for ENERGY CONSULTANTs" WHY THE ?%$#^&* would I want a 2D Elevation and why would you want the client to get Slugged for the extra modeling work? Do you have any idea what REAL Engineers require?

It varies from program to program but 3D DWG works better than IFC. LOL..Ive got to tag this page for reference "Bim and BiMMER"

Real engineers don't jump to conclusions either I expect.

He wanted the elevations because it was taking too long to sort out various bugs with the 3D export. I eventually produced a 3D DWG for him but I don't know if he used it in the end:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=168243

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=168728

Hey you guys are FUNNY...."producing 2D Elevations from 3D Model for ENERGY CONSULTANTs" WHY THE ?%$#^&* would I want a 2D Elevation and why would you want the client to get Slugged for the extra modeling work? Do you have any idea what REAL Engineers require?

It varies from program to program but 3D DWG works better than IFC. LOL..Ive got to tag this page for reference "Bim and BiMMER"

Most of these specific file requests come from the other consultants, real or otherwise, it's not something we make up?!

Edited by Vincent C
FOOLS shouldnt comment on areas outside their expertise...it reflects badly on NAG.The sooner they licence Environmental Engineers the better...

Seems to me NAG is catering for fools......welcome to club. It's all in the eye of the beholder :grin:

"Bend over for this BIM examination I can assure you this wont hurt a bit" Dr Environ. :cry:

Im sure you've heard worse on building sites... if not you should get out more.Ive moved on from colour renderings mate...its now all about certifying BIM data and simplfing data presentations for clients...(some friendly advice)get qualified and keep up.

No it's not all about that. You're wrong. You haven't even grasped properly what we're actually talking about. You're sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong and being rude in the process; calling people fools who you know next to nothing about. On top of that you seem to think you're actually being witty. You're not. You're just being a twat about it.