Problem when inserting Lighting Instrument, z remains 0

Hello, i?m new to Vectorworks and began with the Theatre exercise in the beginners guide. All worked fine except for when I wanted to insert a lighting device to the lighting position. The s4 is not "attached" to the pipe. I can manually adjust the Z value, but I don?t think that the Program was meant that way ?

I have this problem in the exercise and also in a new plan that I made.

I verified that the Pipe was marked as a Lighting Position object and was a 2D/3D Hybrid symbol by hovering over the symbol in the resource browser ("2D/3D Symbol")

I verified that the Lighting device was a 2D/3D Symbol

I edited the lighting device in the OIP made sure it is "attached" to the right position

I changed the pipe for a small truss and converted that as a lighting position

Your help is very much appreciated

Thanks

Frank

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What is the height of the lighting position object? The lighting device looks at the height of the lighting position object to determine what height the light should be placed.

A common mistake is to set the height of the geometry and then convert to a lighting position object. This will leave the height of the lighting position object at 0.

Also make sure you are snapping to the lighting position object when placing the lighting device.

Hi Kevin, thanks for the quick answer.

Well, that was an easy fix !

As far as I understood it is necessary to "rig" every device to the truss in the same height (z-axis), is that, what You meant ? Any way it works fine in the theatre excercise.

And, yes, snapping to object was selected, but i guess that the snapping wouldn?t work on the z-axis if the Objects were 20' away from each other ? ;)

Thank You again for Your help, Im keen on seeing if that also solves my 3D-problem on my "real" project in LA

Frank