Light Beam not on Focus Point

Hallo,

I ran into a Problem with Lighting Instruments, that have the PARTS Record attached, and therefore move the BODY towards the Beam of the Light.

If the BODY is not symmetric around the Locus, that is used for Rotating and the

Light source, the Beam of the Rendered Light goes way of the Beam that's shown Draw Beam.

That's not only happening in Custom Light Sources, it's also effecting the whole ADB Library File.

Sample File attached.

I took a Library Projector, duplicated it and attached a Box to the Body,

to show the effect.

Ist there anything I can do, or am I missing something in the Setup o the Symbol?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6782&filename=Blue_Projector%20_Asymmetric_Body.jpg

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6783&filename=Lightbeam_off_FocusPoint-1.jpg

Edited by Horst M.

Thanks for your answer Tamsin

That's really hard to digest.

It's not easy to be(come) an enthusiastic VW User.

I try really hard..

But that's a tough one.

Are Users left with a halfbaked solution on purpose, or is it a bug

that we can hope will be fixed?

Sigh.

Horst M. (off to the Corner crying)

Tamsin,

its definately not you who soiled something here.

Actually you saved me time for further exporation of that effect, that I hoped was a bug.

In the Help-File I found some notes about keeping geometriy simple because of render times and so on, but not a hint about the real issue

We should know from the manual, that the Feature works only if the Geometry of the LightingDevice is a piece of an oven pipe, which at least look funny in renders.

It doesn't seem too complicated, to take a second Locus.

One for the Center of Lightsource and rotation, 2nd for the Direction of the Beam, or lets define a "Lens Object" in the PARTs Record, that could get a glow texture and show the Direction for the the Light beam....

At least I would recomend, that Symbols from the Stock Libraries like ADB shouldn't have the PARTs Record attaced, because now they have it, and if I use these Symbols, they "behave buggy", as decribed above.

Anyway.

Thanks a lot for your Help!

Edited by Horst M.