Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

VW2012 Plug In Editor Problems in Templates

Today I called Tech Support and found out that the Vector Script Plug In Editor is not supported by vectorworks and is a third party feature. Since they could not help, I'm here to ask you all...

I changed a bunch of settings for the general plug in objects (like cloud, and reference marker, and drawing label) to auto class to specific classes using our office standard and some settings to set the parameters like handrail extensions etc. After doing this, I created a template file to share with the office assuming that the changes I made would automatically show up in the template but they don't. I don't know much about the organization of VW files on a mac but need to make these changes standard across the board. Can anyone tell me if I've done something really wrong, or if I'm just missing a step and need to replace a library file located on the network?

Any advice and help is appreciated.

Thanks

Christina

First of all, the VS Plug-In editor is not a third party feature, and tech support gave you misinformation. In fact, it has an entry in the Vectorworks help application.

When you set plug-in defaults in the Plug-In Editor, those defaults apply to the first time you insert an object in the drawing. Once an object exists, defaults for that object exist in that file, and are saved with the file. You can set defaults by selecting the plug-in tool for the object you want, and press the preferences button at the far right of the mode bar (the buttons just above the top ruler, on the left). If you already had inserted the plug-ins, you would not see the new values you changed in the plug-in editor.

Additionally, if you want to save defaults for sharing with the office, you would have to copy the modified plug-ins to everyone's computer. There are two better options than making modifications as the plug-in level:

- As you were doing make a template file. Insert one of each plug-in that you want to distribute, and set your defaults via the mode bar preference button.

- Create a new file and insert the plug-ins you want, and change the parameter in the drawing. Select that PIO, and create a symbol, using the convert to plug-in option as well as setting the insertion class. This allows you have a few sets of defaults. Save this as a regular file. Users can add it as a resource browser favorite. Search the help docs for "Red Symbol."

HTH,

Josh

• Administrator

Christina,

Joshua is correct, and I apologize for the misinformation. To rectify the Technical team does not provide training or support on this topic. We have created this forum for this purpose, where some of our Engineers and some other power users offer their help.

Juan Almansa