Undo "Fit Roof to Walls" command

Christina T

Question

It would be nice to be able to undo the fit to roof command. I'm sure we're not the only ones who change roof profiles and would like to have a better shortcut than creating a fake roof plane and fitting walls to that roof...

Is it possible to undo by typing in a new wall height? Or something along these lines?

20 answers to this question

That script doesn't work for me on 2012 walls.

I found it useful to keep a design layer with nothing but a 3Dpoly a little bigger than the building for just this reason.

The "fit to roof" command is very misnamed. It fits either the top or bottom of a wall to any 3D object - not just roofs.

mk

michaelk - thanks for your input on Robert Anderson's script. When I tried it I also couldn't get it to work in Vw 2012. Apologies to everyone for the misinformation.

bcd - rerunning the FWTR command doesn't delete the vertices that previous iterations of the command added.

michaelk - totally agree that the current naming of the command is bad. It should be something like Fit Walls to Other Geometry or Fit Walls to Geometry.

Christina T - yes there should be an Unfit Walls to Roof command.

Thanks all - I couldn't get the script to work in 12 either. And I know in other programs (like ArchiCAD) it is possibly to check a box to remove wall peaks. I realize that you can create a new plane and fit the walls to that object, but wouldn't it be nice to delete this extra step?

VW Tech Support: Any chance you can fix the script so it works in 2012?

Mike M Oz & Vincent C- agree about fitting walls to geometry - it should be possible to select a roof and use only that 3D object to fit the walls to.

Ok, try this script instead. I has been extremely quickly (not thoroughly) tested in VW2012.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=167482Post167482

Assume all usual legal language here. Use at your own risk. Make a backup first. Do not use while operating heavy machinery. No not use while using alcohol or illegal drugs. Make a backup first. Make a backup first. etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps.

They're easily deleted if they cause problems - I'm just offering an option to those who may not know and personally I find it useful to have a simple way to restore a wall to flat-top.

I'm not saying that having undo FWTR isn't a good wish.

personally I find it useful to have a simple way to restore a wall to flat-top.

I'm not saying that having undo FWTR isn't a good wish.

Indeed, bcd. On one project I even placed one permanently on the needed layers and classed it off until periodically needed for reshaping.

Been long time needed.

OK now I've tested running the script a little more......

As always the situation is a little more complex.

The present script works fine however it resets the wall tops according to the outside peak heights.

Which in some cases is desirable.

However an additional script is necessary to reset the wall tops back to the 'center reference height' as I call it, presumably the original height when first placed. Anyone feel they can create such a script, this would be most appreciated?

I must admit that there need to be a command build in, but the middle point is there for a reason, and a really good one. When you change the height of your layer or an elevation in the stories, the wall will change along if it is set to bound to the elevatin or wall height. That middle point is the visual clue off where the wall is bound. It takes some time to get used to, but it's very usefull when shaping walls under roofs.