PC or Mac

RichG

Its that time where I need to start thinking about buying a new machine. I am running Vectorworks on a Win PC on Vista at the moment though I have a copy of Win 7 to install as soon as I make the time.

I work by myself and use a PC and a laptop (Win 7).

I am wondering about whether to try out an iMac or stick with PC.

Are there any opinions out there from people with experience of both. What spec would people recommend for both. I know it is the case of pay the most you can afford. Whilst the budget is flexible, I dont want to spend an extra ?400 on ram and processor upgrades if I dont need to. Also if I am switching between laptop running windows and a Mac, I assume I will run into problems.

In terms of power, should I be looking at 8, 12 or 24 GB of RAM for good performance. I do some rendering but mostly from Sketchup at the moment.

Whilst I have VW Architect 2012 I have not started using it yet and I am still on ACAD LT. I am planning to start within the next few weeks so i am not familiar with how well my machine will cope at the moment (2.7GHz Core2 Duo, 3.1G RAM)

Thanks

Oh no, not this again ..... :crazy:

Well I have experience with both, changed to Mac about 3 years ago and have been running VWs 2011/2012 on the setup below since last April.

Can't say anything more than that I am extremely satisfied (I don't even use my external screens 22" and 24"). My hard disk is a little to small so I need an external as compliment especially now with iCloud and Photostream.

I have had 3-5 VWs crashes since last April and no computer crashes since April.

Yes it costs a lot initially but considering I have reduced my need for computer support by 99% over a year that has evened out my economics without the frustrations mind.

If you want my personal opinion on taste between Mac vs PC we can correspond on this in private, however this would be a completely academic exercise.......you need to make up your own mind what fits your needs and desires best.

Hope to try out Windows running on Parallels in the not too distant future so if you have patience you can get feed back on this in about a year :).

Edited by Vincent C

Mac hardware can be expensive, but is generally reliable and has good resale value. The price of an iMac actually can't be beat for an all-in-one, and I can recommend it in an environment where it isn't left on all night as part of a render farm (this risks overworking what are essentially laptop components inside). My home computer is an iMac with both Win7 and Lion installed and it runs both very well, although I've never installed VW on the Win side.

So maybe my answer is both...

Two comments: first, I am a "mac guy" and always will be. I love my iMac (and every other "i" thing I own) and am happy with the way VW's runs on it. I wholeheartedly recommend Apple hardware! But second, and perhaps more important for you, is that switching platforms will probably require you to re-purchase (and maybe re-learn) much of the rest of the software you use, except that which comes bundled with the Mac (e.g.: Safari, Mail, Preview, etc.). It's not an easy decision and I look forward to hearing which one you decide on.

.......Also if I am switching between laptop running windows and a Mac, I assume I will run into problems.

If you are referring to VWs I don't think this will be the case (reference files, custom library files etc. must be synced or remotely placed, however this is not a cross-platform issue.) Check-up on the different options for Windows FAT32 or NTFS vs OSX when working cross-platform.

One thing to bear in mind about them being "more expensive" is that this statement doesn't actually compare like for like. It's a bit like saying BMWs are more expensive than VWs.

Macs are generally more expensive only in the sense that they don't cater to the low-margin low-end of the market.

What I've generally found over the years is that if you actually custom build a PC on the various PC seller websites to be as similar as possible to the specs of any given Mac the Mac will be much the same price or cheaper, and have a far better build quality.

We use iMacs at work and they do heat up when rendering but they've done pretty well so far. Although I haven't done any overnight rendering. If you can afford it go for the Mac Pros.

We also run a server (Mac OS X Server) and I run that myself without any IT support.

What I've generally found over the years is that if you actually custom build a PC on the various PC seller websites to be as similar as possible to the specs of any given Mac the Mac will be much the same price or cheaper, and have a far better build quality.

I don't think so....

Mac is good, but it's just expensive in comparison to other products.

Try it.

For once I'm going to disagree with you, but only in relation to Mac Pros. We recently priced Mac Pros and specced identical (or as near as we could) 3XS PCs which came out 20 to 30 percent cheaper. Mac Pros are rock solid in every sense of the word though...can't speak for 3XS or Boxx or similar.

In terms of expense, please consider the countless dollars and hours one will spend on maintenance and anti-virus software for a PC, not to mention the amount of resources this type of software occupies when you are running your computer. If you are a responsible computer user, anti virus software on a Mac is not needed whatsoever (this is my opinion, and contrary to anti-virus software salespeople). A veteran Unix programmer neighbor of mine insists that the internal architecture of the Mac OS is pretty bomb proof when it comes to outside attack, unless I were to intentionally do some absurd stuff to my admin account (which in it's default state, does not have total access the OS). Worst thing that would happen is an account would fuzz, but the OS would be intact. A new user account could easily be created, if necessary.

I use VW on a PC at work, and use the same e-license for the Mac at home. (E-licenses allow you to do this.) I have consistently worked with both platforms for 20+ years, and have respect with both systems, but I prefer working on the Mac I have at home, but mainly due to the MacOS. I believe the OS should not get in the way of what I am trying to do, and the Mac OS has done a much better job of "not getting in the way". There are times at work when I want to torch Win7 for slowing me down. A co-worker of mine had our IT take away her Dell Precision workstation and give back her old computer, simply due to the fact that she couldn't stand Win7.

Try it.

For once I'm going to disagree with you, but only in relation to Mac Pros. We recently priced Mac Pros and specced identical (or as near as we could) 3XS PCs which came out 20 to 30 percent cheaper. Mac Pros are rock solid in every sense of the word though...can't speak for 3XS or Boxx or similar.

Its true that the iMacs are more competitive than the Mac Pros but I have compared Power Macs with Dells in the past and they've come out same price.

Not so with the current line up you're right. It's not even worth comparing them at the moment because Apple are still only offering the Nehalem/Westmere processors. The problem with the Mac Pros is that they're a tiny proportion of Apple's output and I fear they're neglecting them because of it.

This is the longest its ever been since the last release of Mac Pros/Power Macs. You can see the time between release dates has stretched out further and further ever since 2007: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Edit: there's a rumour they may be updated next week:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/mac-pro-update-now-possible-with-new-xeon-e5-chips-next-week/

Worth holding off to see what comes of it.

Besides the obvious stuff that PC is cheaper than MAC, etc. I think that you might be looking to go onto Revit after you've tried VW and Revit only works on a PC therefore I'd suggest you stick with PC.

PC, not only for the above reason, will give you more flexibility.

Thanks for your opinions and comments. I never do anything quickly when it involves spending money.... I have never spent more than about ?1200 on a PC as I only ever needed to run ACAD LT which isn't very demanding so i want to make the right choice. I will see how I get on with Win 7 using it every day though it has got to be better than Vista, and then decide.

I expect I shall plump for the PC due to the software purchasing issues (though VWKs and SKP will work on either), learning to change over, and working with colleagues who will still be using ACAD.

Besides the obvious stuff that PC is cheaper than MAC, etc. I think that you might be looking to go onto Revit after you've tried VW and Revit only works on a PC therefore I'd suggest you stick with PC.

PC, not only for the above reason, will give you more flexibility.

I haven't looked very deeply but you'll be hard pushed to find an all-in-one that bets the iMac on price. And the iMacs can run Windows/Revit, so you're not backing yourself into a corner by buying a Mac in this regard.

I expect I shall plump for the PC due to the software purchasing issues (though VWKs and SKP will work on either)...

As above, this is a non-issue given that Macs can run Windows and hence Revit etc. Buying a Mac actually gives you more options because you can choose to run OS X as well.

Another thing. Regardless of whether you buy a PC or Mac, it's worth breaking down the price of the machine over the expected life of the machine by every hour you think you'll work on it. This will give you a figure more easily related to the income it will generate. Professionals should do the same thing with software.

When you do this you realise how silly it is to agonise over a few hundred pesos here or there (i.e. of course if you actually have the pesos to spend in the first place).

I'm also on Mac, and during the 13 Yeas I invested a lot in Software an Updates,

and Hardware and I'm pleased with the reliability of the Hardware and the Productivity I get.

But since Lion, and the Ipad-Iphone-App Hype I get frightened.

There are more and more itches and glitches with Pro apps, the Roumor about giving up MACPRO, and the constant pressure of Apple to Upgrade the OS, first with the App store (to 10.6) , now with the iCloud (to 10.7), to save my Mail adress(es), that is distributed i so many places, because I expected it to be Future Stable and reliable, makes me feel uncomfortable.

What happened with Quicktime (From 7 to 10) and other Apps makes me fear,

that Livestyle and marketing is more valuable than a professionally relyable Product, and the

Preservation of the Investment that USeres already made.

Besides that, fears, it is the fact, that I still have less trouble with the OS and the Machine itself than all my Colleagues on Win7, and my Titanium is still in use with an Itunes library on the Stereo.

And I had the same experience as others above, that equal Win Hardware is, if you find it, at least

the same Price, mostly more expensive, than the Mac product.