more crashing issues

have read the previous 33 messages re. crashing and can't seem to resolve the issue. My screen freezes when in the middle of zooming, panning, selecting, drawing 2d lines, and exporting images.

I have 768Mb RAM with 300Mb allocated to VWX. I do not run other programs whilst using VWX. - OS9.2.2 with updated ATI driver.Have set 3d settings to lowest possible.One thing i have noticed is that occasionally before it freezes there will be some odd rotational toggling between pan, paper, and select when I press the apple command button with the caps lock on...and then it freezes. Also, when I'm exporting images-eg.jpg- it will freeze.I've walked away and returned some 10mins later.still nothing. Other times the same file and view will take less then 5 secs.Hope someone can help me. I'm losing a lot of work and time- as I don't use the save prompt (btw. I only have my undo set to 5 with no view saves). Even after restarting sometimes the files will lock up seconds later as soon as I try to pan!

kristen

thans Joe, but i've already copied the file into a new one and still no joy.

I'm using Vwx 9.5.1. and have kept all my elements close to the origin. However I take your point about hatches..I have a new hatch that I've created but it's a very basic one...I'll try deleting this.

kristen

I know!!I know!!It happens to me too!!!

Actually one thing that seems to have helped in one instance was cleaning the drawing as suggested by someone in the previous postings. Cleaning by copying your drawing objects layer by layer into a new drawing.

I found that one drawing in particular was causing a lot of problems and it was causing the problems on any computer I opend it on. So I cleaned it up and started fresh. This is also a drawing that has lots of hatch (elevation of a gaudy overdesigned pig of a building). It is also a drawing that I have been kicking around through countless redesigns and there are objects over objects over objects and groups within groups within groups.

Someone once told me that keeping the bulk of the drawing near the 0,0 origin and keeping nested groups to a minimum helps to keep the drawing sleek and well behaved.

Incedently I am on VW 8.5.2 but it sounds like the same freezing issues I am having.

Try this first.

Video card driver upgrades and dicking around with the memory seemed to help a bit and defraging my hard drive probably helped as well but I think it is more a combination of all this stuff and the unwieldy drawings.

For Nemetschek here's a suggestion, how about a recover feature that lets you recover and repair a messed up drawing. Something that does what I suggested doing manually above. Wouldn't that be nifty.

Re: Crashing and slow redraws!

I have recently had the same, or similar, problems at a practice where I work on contract. I managed to solve the frequently re-occurring problem by carrying out a series of clean Mac OS and VW 8.5.2 installs on the effected machines.

I also created a dedicated scratch disk partition on the affected machines and set the Mac Virtual Memory to cache to this drive/partition.

I know you don't want to go to this length, but trust me, it'll save you a lot of time in the long run.