Stretching rounded rectangles

Why are you using the 2d reshape tool to reshape the rounded rectangle?

You should be using the 2d selection tool to resize the rectangle. You cannot reshape the rectangle, otherwise it would no longer be a rectangle but rather a polygon.

I use reshape tool to stretch a number of things, usually several at a time. I hate to imagine having to use the selection tool to stretch or pull all the objects, in a different way for each type of object, just to pull them the same distance. How would you do it?Since there is no 'from' OSNAP in VW, I often have different displacement reference markers. If I want to pull an endpoint a certain distance (i.e. from one point to another) which is unknown but IS defined by two other points, what other way can I use?

Technically, a rectangle is a polygon, so I don't care what it's called. If anything, a rectangle is restrictive since I can't rotate it.

Yes a rectangle is a polygon, however if you change one of the vertices of a rectangle, it no longer has the definition of a rectangle -- an object with 4 sides where the two opposite sides are equal in length and have 90 degree angles as thier corner points -- and then becomes a polygon. To stretch a rectangle, you need to resize it, not reshape it. To resize something - keeping it's proportion across ALL the vertices, you need to resize it with the 2d selection tool.

When you use the reshape tool, you are changing the location of one vertex point thus changing the length of the line corresponding to the vertex. In the case of a rectangle, you would be completely changing the properties of it being a rectangle to a polygon which has different properties in the world of Geometry and CAD.

So technically, the reshape tool is working the way it should be and the way it has been since being first introduced.

I can see where you see the difference with the rectangle tool, however when using a rounded rectangle tool, the arcs used to create the corners are then changed to a different arc angle which would no longer allow it to be the rounded rectangle as stated before. You can't change the rounded rectangle to another shape even if it changes it to a polygon while keeping the same arc angle at the 4 corners. That's why it won't work with that tool. You will just have to convert the rounded rectangle to a polygon first, then reshape it. Keep in mind you lose the arc settings for the corner points.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,I too use the Reshape tool for lines and rectangles, in addition to poly vertices. It is a great way to move parts of many objects at once, especially with the Move command. You cannot get the same behavior by dragging an endpoint of a line when multiple objects are selected. Not only do all the objects move, but they rescale too. It would be a natural extension of the tool to work on Rounded Rectangles.

One pet peeve I have about the Reshape tool is that you cannot select or deselect lines or rectangles with the tool, only Polys. You must change tools to the 2D Select tool, make your selection changes, and then change back to the Reshape tool. Then you can edit Lines and Rectangles and Polys to your heart's content.

Raymond

On the issue of objects changing type when edited, the Reshape tool always changes a Rectangle to a Poly. It would be nice if a reshaped Rectangle retained its Rectangle identity when the Rectangle's shape remained Rectangular. The same could be said if a Rounded Rectangle is edited similarly, that is, the right or left sides moved in the X-axis only, and/or the top or bottom sides moved in the Y-axis only.

In the case of a Rounded Rectangle having one vertex or one side moved in two axes, the type should change to Polyline and the corners/vertices set to ArcTo with the same radius as that of the Rounded Rectangle. Just a thought, but it would be nice.

Raymond

"You can't change the rounded rectangle to another shape even if it changes it to a polygon while keeping the same arc angle at the 4 corners. [but why?] That's why it won't work with that tool. [huh?] You will just have to convert the rounded rectangle to a polygon first, then reshape it. Keep in mind you lose the arc settings for the corner points."Qu'as-tu dit? I know that it doesn't work, but I don't understand your explanation for why.

If a rectangle can be changed to a polygon, vertex-to-vertex automatically, and a RR can be converted to a polywhatever, then why can't a rounded rectangle be changed to a polything -- automatically -- with arc-type vertices? V8's rounded rectangles allowed snapping to the theoretical corners...I also don't understand why the '-to-poly' conversion doesn't have a check for circular corners so that they convert to arc vertices instead of bezier pairs.

A rectangle is converted to a p

I'm getting started on making several items into PIO's instead of having a library of symbols, each a variation on a theme (e.g. doors) or a script that creates several symbols (e.g. drawing title). In theory, this could be a very good thing.

However, I noticed today after finishing the grid circle PIO that PIO's don't move if enclosed entirely by a window and then Reshape'd (aka 'stretch'ing in Acad).

Is there no way to do a check that will simply move the selected object -- no other mods -- instead of the object's vertices, if ALL vertices have been enclosed by the marquee? This would be very powerful and convenient.