Which glass texture for windows?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

With 2011 and later just make sure the Color shader is black or very very dark. The milky look comes from the Color shader not being black, when using the Glass Reflectivity and Glass Transparency shaders. Turning off ambient is always a good idea as that adds a gray cast to everything in the model. The glass texture used for the Window PIO is a good start, turn off cast shadows for clear glass and turn off indirect lighting to save render time, since clear glass is almost invisible.

OK

So here is my attempt at the clear glass thing

Set in a marquee with glass panels where I left out the one to indicate the effect of the light entering the space against the reflection of the glass.

I also have a Floor texture in with an ?Aluminium Chrome Plate? Texture applied and 9 point light running down the apex set @ 40%.

The render Style is pretty much the same I had with the scaff-stage I posted recently.

In addition I have dropped in what I have made regarding the Light box issue.

A piece of truss covered with a stretched sock and a LED Par inside.

In VW it is a piece of truss with a hollow extrude and a Semi-transparent texture set to Glow with a bump.

This without the truss makes a Light box aswell but I place a Line light in the centre to add extra glow on the inside.

Another thing you have to beware of with elevations is to make sure you get your partitions (or a partition) in so that they block the light coming in from the other side of the building.

I'm also finding I have to make sure the RW Background is set to None to get dark windows in elevation.

Edited by Christiaan
Another thing you have to beware of with elevations is to make sure you get your partitions (or a partition) in so that they block the light coming in from the other side of the building.

I'm also finding I have to make sure the RW Background is set to None to get dark windows in elevation.

You can also just use non-transparent textures in elevations to get the results you want. We draw with non-transparent textures for the window glazing and override the classes to transparent textures when needed.

True, that's what I was doing at first but it kind of makes every look a bit dead and heavy. The odd reflections and little flecks of grey that can be seen in clear glazed windows helps liven the elevations up I think. Bit like Vincent's very nice elevations here (although I'm going for a bit of a darker look): http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=166714#Post166714