Cladding: model or use texture?

Christiaan

How would you go about modelling this type of cladding arrangement? I'm loathe to model the actual cladding panels (editing/changing it would be a nightmare and we just don't earn that level of fees) so would rather create the cladding using a texture. But I haven't had much fun creating shader textures so far, there's too much abstraction and trial and error involved. So I'd be concerned I couldn't get the quality and accuracy we need.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6696&filename=modelling-cladding.png

Christian, a thought-

During DD

Could the whole facade of clad area be one poly with holes for the windows, shell or extrude for the thickness? A grid of straight lines or NURBS or 3d polys with EAP triangles would be a second object (kind of a 3d hatch) representing the joint lines.

The poly and grid would be easy to edit as things change.

Whenever shop drawings or a detail is required:

Use the grid to cut the poly into individual cladding panels.

-B

Modeling directly or using Symbols containing Walls for each panel may be the best solution.

Otherwise - using a Tile fill on a clipped planar polygon and moving to position with the Attribute mapping tool will give you accuracy and a reasonable degree of flexibility.

Edited by bcd

I've modelled the cladding but I'm not getting enough definition at the joints. I've extruded them 8 mm (because that's what the actual board is) and they are space 10 mm apart. I've also made the wall behind black. Any tips to make those joints blacker?

Chris, is this why you made yours 20 mm thick?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6799&filename=cladding.png

Would it be possible to create doors or windows that look like that? You can then place them outside the wall and replace/edit the different types individually when necessary (I assume you have a certain limited amount of standard panels placed randomly?)

Back to your question, if you reduce image exposure and increase the emitter brightness I believe the shadows will become more pronounced.

Oh and something I've learned over the years try to use as little ambience in your textures as possible (except in white materials), this always makes for difficult and unrealistic effects in renders.

Edited by Vincent C
  • 2 months later...

Would the curtain wall tool be usable in this case?

I mean, create the facade as a curtain wall, recessed mullions for the joins, and various different opaque glass textures for the coloured panels?

I haven't delved into VW curtain wall tool yet personally...

And if you wanted to add an earth hatch under the ground line - did you end up finding a solution on how to do that on the DTM, or would you just Vectorworkaround it using filled poly?

Edited by Kizza

Had a quick play with the window wall tool.

It appears to be very limited.

You can't change the profile of the mullions

You can't apply different glazing colours to separate panels

You can't substitute a glazed panel with a solid panel

You can't create a recessed mullion

You can't remove mullion sections

Window wall mullions don't automatically cut around doors on insertion

basically useless, except for the most basic....