Different Fills for Section, Plan, and Elevation in different drawings

copperpence

I have a model in one file that is referenced into separate plan, section, and elevation files.

If I cut a section viewport in the original model file I am able to easily change the fill of my cut concrete with an associated hatch in the OIP of the viewport while leaving the original color of the concrete fill (pink) of the portions of the piece that are still in elevation (ie. not cut)

The problem that I am having is that when I cut the section viewport in the section file which has the referenced model I am unable to change the class in the OIP of the viewport as it doesn't exist which I don't quite get but assuming it has something to do with the model being referenced? So I end up with this

The only way I have found to make this read correctly ie. with section concrete as hatch and elevation concrete as fill is to change the fill of the actual model to a concrete hatch, but this in turn changes all of my 3D elevation fills to a light gray...which I suppose I could live with but it doesn't really resolve the problem

I was also thinking that I could perhaps cut the section in the actual model and then export that viewport to the section file, but it seems quite complicated just for a different fill color in elevation and section.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work?

I can't help you on the fill attributes but if you decide to cut your sections in your original model and reference them into your section drawing file you won't be able to use your auto-numbering and there is no way I have found to get your section marks created by a Section Viewport in your model file to display in a Sheet Layer Viewport of a different file. I can get them into Design Layer Viewports but not sheets.

Joe

If I understood you correctly, you need to do the following:

Use one class and give this class first the color you want. Then choose the hatch for concrete fill as the fill for the class. VW will remember the color and your object will render with the chosen color while in 2D/Plan and section, the object will show with a concrete hatch.

Keep in mind that you can't alter classes throuh viewports that in themself have a viewport that's referenced from another file. You can only override classes in the referenced viewport itself. Therefore it could be better to not use referencing for your problem? Keep your plan section en elevations in one file, unless there is another reason for you to do so.

Yes, that is correct.

We initially set up the drawings with a referenced model to allow for multiple people to work on different portions of the drawings as well as to keep the model at a manageable file size.

I'm still using the fix that I spoke about in the previous post and was able to change the class settings of the model reference in the elevation drawing so that my concrete walls are now pink in elevation and it's not currently a problem in the plans as the model is currently composed of hybrid symbols with both elevation and section classes for the different parts. There is still the problem in section for the reason you mentioned but may just have to live with it. We discussed making the section cuts in the original model but the section cuts do increase the file size quite a bit.

Also, I wondered if anyone could comment further on the stories feature of VW2012. It seems that to be true BIM in plan you need to cut each portion of the 3D model into floors which works quite nicely for the interior walls or a typical platform framed wood wall because they are actually composed this way. However, in my particular instance, the exterior concrete wall is actually multiple stories high and a solid piece. Thus, if I stay true to how I understand the story method, and I cut my exterior concrete wall 3D piece up into floors, there will be lines in section and elevation at the floor lines even though in reality they do not exist. The argument I suppose being that they are normally covered up by the FF elevation line in the working drawings, and if not, they can be rendered in a different way other than shaded polygon to hide the lines.

Thanks!

Also, I wondered if anyone could comment further on the stories feature of VW2012. It seems that to be true BIM in plan you need to cut each portion of the 3D model into floors which works quite nicely for the interior walls or a typical platform framed wood wall because they are actually composed this way. However, in my particular instance, the exterior concrete wall is actually multiple stories high and a solid piece. Thus, if I stay true to how I understand the story method, and I cut my exterior concrete wall 3D piece up into floors, there will be lines in section and elevation at the floor lines even though in reality they do not exist. The argument I suppose being that they are normally covered up by the FF elevation line in the working drawings, and if not, they can be rendered in a different way other than shaded polygon to hide the lines.

Thanks!

Stories doens't work that way. They just group some design layers that are in one logical level of your building. They are usefull in that way that you can bound objects like walls to them so that when changing the heights/elevations, the objects follow. But all other things you will draw like you do now.

As for the lines in your section you don't want: There is an option in the section viewport to remove these. So you can draw your wall in different pieces and still let them look in your section like one whole part.