Vectorworks 2012 not exporting full XML File

charding

Hi all-

I am currently having a problem where VW won't export the full XML data. Entire Plot line is shown in the XML file but it only contains a selection of the fixtures. The exported information seems to be fixtures that I recently added or changed.

I have tried changing the file name to a simple one, moving locations, and placing the XML file in a different folder. The VW file is directly on my hard drive, not on a server.

In VW I can generate a full channel hookup that contains all of the fixtures, VW is recognizing the fixtures but not exporting them to the XML file.

I am running VW 2012 SP2, on Mac OSX 10.7.3.

LW 5.0.28, I'm thinking this is a VW problem as the XML file is missing data.

Macbook Pro 8gigs of ram, 320gb HD, 2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Any thoughts?

-Clay

Edited by charding
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Clay,

I think I have seen this problem before. At this point we are not sure what causes the problem but it can be fixed.

Give this a try.

Download the attached file.

From the Tools menu select Scripts, Run VectorScript

Select the attached file and click OK.

Now if you do a full export you should see all the instruments export.

If it does not work let me know and I'll need to take a closer look at your file.

There will be something in the next service pack to address the issue but if you see the problem happen again let me know.

I would need to know what you were doing with the file between the last time the exchange worked and when you noticed the failure.

We have not been able to reproduce the failure with a clean file to figure out what causes the problem.

Kevin-

Thanks for this. The problem appeared to fix itself yesterday after the file was uploaded to a server and then opened on a PC. A full export was successfully created (I didn't prompt VW to export, it did it automatically). Later last night I download the VW file to my Mac (the same computer that the problem started on), opened it up and the full export worked successfully!!

I performed a couple of actions that may have caused the failure to export originally. I changed the Model Name and Instrument Type in the Light Info Record for about five symbols. It seemed that these fixtures made up most of the selection of the plot that was exported to the xml.

I made a few other routine changes, color, channel, and moved a few fixtures around.

Let me know if you need any other information.

-Clay

I have had this happen to me on many occasions as well. It typically happens if I have recently saved a plot under a new name and then try to create the data exchange link to a new LW file. It would only export the fixtures that had been changed recently. I found that if I ran the "refresh instruments" command and then went back to export the xml that always solved the problem for me.

I hope that helps

Eric