2012 CRASH!!

What seems to be the problem?

It gives me this error(att) when I want to open a file from my folders, any file.

Yesterday it was working fine, today It has crashed 3 times in 1 hour from starting to work.

Now it also crashes when switching between drawings. WTF!?!?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by cad@sggsa

I am getting frequent crashes when using vw2012 as well. I'm working on a mac and I will get the spinning beach ball of death and the only way to get out of it is to force quit the application. This is happening WAY to often, sometimes once an hour, and usually happens while doing a non intensive task such as moving around on the screen. Anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it?

Jason

VW2012 Architect + Renderworks

Mac OSX 10.58

IMac 2.4Ghz intel core duo

4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I am getting frequent crashes when using vw2012 as well. I'm working on a mac and I will get the spinning beach ball of death and the only way to get out of it is to force quit the application. This is happening WAY to often, sometimes once an hour, and usually happens while doing a non intensive task such as moving around on the screen. Anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it?

Usually corrupt geometry or imported dwgs.

One way I have managed to keep the crashes to a min is to keep Saving ALOT.

That's not logical.....saving a lot is good practice in not needing to redraw when frequent crashing occurs but it shouldn't have any influence on crashing frequency!? ;)

I have set my VWs to save over the original file every 5 mins (or every 20 steps). However I have had about 3 hook ups since SP2 came out....easily the least crashy version so far.

Edited by Vincent C

In the Preferences dialog there is a tab called security or system or something in that nature (sorry don't have my VWs with me today). There you can set all the autosave settings, including no reminders or pop ups.....

I have chosen to use the 'write over original file' setting because I run Time Machine and that backs up my files once every day, so should a file become corrupt, I never lose more than 1 days work, and for 'normal' crashes never more than a couple of minutes.

For me the most instability occurs when I do a lot of texture adjusting and rerendering......this was also the case in 2011. Probably because it is very memory and processor intensive.

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks Alot Vincent

Renderworks has always been really bad with memory since I started in VW10.

I make sure to Save before every Render I do and if a couple has been done I restart to clear the virtual Memory to be sure.

I have had pleanty threads regarding this on here.

The problem I see is that new versions are made/sold before the problems are sorted out of the previous version, so the problem persists and gets worse.

I'm thinking there might be some conflict with "time machine" on mac. Has anyone else heard of this problem or experienced it. It seems that when I get the spinning beachball of death it is when time machine is doing a back up.

Jason

VW2012 Architect + Renderworks

Mac OSX 10.58

IMac 2.4Ghz intel core duo

4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

• 2 months later...

Update:

I think we managed to find the fualt that was causing VW to crash.

As I work for a company on VW, we are all on a server to share the drawings.

The fact that I was working of the server and it needing to update took time and effort.

Thus it is not a VW problem.

We checked this by opening a 263MB file over the server compared to having the same drawing on my desktop.

The one on my desktop opened instantly.

Also I was connected through my telephone line which is only a 1GB/s line.

Thanks for the concern guys

Good to see Ian still here.

It is a MegaBit and not a MB.so 1 gb/s

Also it is the line between out server and my PC which run through my phone. Internal IT setup.

It is only the speed of the line which is slow/small.

I still seem to have a problem though.

Cant have 2 VW dwg's open of large file size (80MB and 50MB) and then do an edit on some entourage....

We will be looking into this, might get a Drive sink program to link up, but then you sink the whole drive every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will help, but I recently moved my computer and somehow some of the RAM got loose and wasn't being accessed by the computer (system was running 4GB instead of the normal 6GB) anyway, VW2012 crashed a few times, and I got a few error messages before I realized what was wrong. Now that I am back up with 6GB RAM, VW 2012 is very stable, again.

So, could be a lack of RAM