3D objects in Top/Plan view

Christiaan

Question

Now that I'm mostly working in 3D I'm finding the split between 2D and 3D a hassle when it comes to free-form 3D objects.

I don't know what the answer is particularly* but I'd rather not have to draw separate 2D objects for everything.

* I'm guessing some sort of mix of parametric and free-form modelling. Or more parametric tools for things like parapet capping, roof gutters, and every other building object.

Edited by Christiaan

7 answers to this question

I think a possible solution would be an option to automatically generate the 2D portion of a hybrid symbol.

The problem with this is that more often than not a symbol isn't appropriate. We need a solution for both symbols and just standard 3D objects.

i think that now more than ever, NAG needs to look at how other CAD Apps deal with this aspect of drawing. Solidworks allows you to draw in 3D and gives you a finished 2D working drawing which you can set the "Layout" to taste with very little effort.

The VW "Hybrid" has been DEAD for decades! It's time it was layed to rest along with many other "Out of Date" components and replaced with a more powerful/useful aspect of drawing.

I think that a step in the good direction would be that there would be a new option for the layers (or even storys, viewports): Section height.

That way, you can draw completely in 3D, ad some 2D things (dimensions, texts, annotation,...), make a viewport of the whole thing, set the section height and everything will be cut on that height.

Classes needs to be updated with new options too:

- attributes for when object is in view

- attributes for when object is been cut

- attributes for when object is hidden (behind another object or behind the section line)

If we would have that, hybrid object wouldn't be needed anymore. Walls shouldn't be hybrid anymore either. And developing a hybrid tool or a making hybrid symbol would be a whole lot less work because 90% of the 2D objects that needs to drawn now, will be derived from the 3D section.

hope this make some kind of sense :S