Red Line Tool - I am confused

ckennedy

I am trying to utilize the Redline Tool but I am not really sure what the proper way to use it is.

I attempted to use it in the Design Layer of the viewport, but it put the notes way out beyond the drawing.

I attempted to use it in the Annotations area of the viewport, but it would not show up in red, only in black. I could not find anyway to modify the color.

I attempted to use when I was in the Sheet Layer and it seem to work fine, except for the fact that I could not readily check dimensional aspects of the drawing without going into the Design Layer or Annotations. This seems excessively annoying. So I assume I am not thinking clearly or am totally misunderstanding how to use the tool.

It would seem to me that it should work best on the Annotation area.

Clarity would be appreciated.

I am using VW 2012 with Service Packs all up to date. I am using a Mac with OS X.6 Snow Leopard with all Updates installed.

Thanks

I'm sure Kevin is right - you probably have a viewport set to show only black and white.

You can put the redlines anywhere - design layer, annotation space (as long as the redline class is visible in that viewport), sheet layers.

It can be useful to create a worksheet to solve the navigation issue and organize all the redline notes.

Open the worksheet, right click on the row header of the note you want to work on, click on select item and the drawing will navigate to that annotation space, sheet layer, or design layer, center the drawing on the redline object and select it.

(sometimes when navigating in this way to an annotation space of a viewport with a crop it can behave strangely...)

hth

mk

As much as I love VW, I actually prefer using the redline tools available in Acrobat. We have many employees at our office who don't have VW installed on their desktops, and Acrobat is quite useful for them, too. And it automatically creates a list of the redlines for one to check off when they are complete.

I also have a sense of comfort knowing that I am redlining exactly what will be shown to the clients, and not running the risk of a mis-print.

Matt

• 9 months later...

I'm trying to use the redline feature, but when I use it in the sheet layer, it appears 3000' in the x and 7000' in the y directions. If I use it in the model layer, it show fine, but when I re-position the text, it points out in space (near the point stated above.) Is there a settting I'm missing somewhere?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I am getting this, too. The redline object does not appear where I draw the box, but some random point, sometimes a great virtual distance away from where I am making the note.

Is this just a user forum, or do Vectorworks support staff monitor/respond?

Interesting point. The file I am using did start out with an older version of Vectorworks, maybe even as far back as Vectorworks 12._. Creating a new file and using the redline tool works fine. Any suggestions for how to clean up older files for use in 2013?

Ian

It's a user forum. But Vectorworks folks also hang out here.

The easiest way to jump to a new file is

1. Create a new blank document.

2. Start to create a new design layer

3. In the New Design Layer dialog box select Import Design Layers

4. Use the Choose? button to navigate to the source document.

5. Select the design layers you want to bring in. Make sure "Import Layer Objects" is selected.

That will get your design layers.

Do the same thing with Sheet Layers.

This won't bring in your viewports. You will have to recreate those. (Although I've had limited success grouping viewports and copying and pasting them from on drawing to another.)

hth

mk