rendering hard and soft shadows

kemy

hi every one, it's my first post here, i'm jeremy, and i'm studying architecture for already 3 years.

in five days I'll have the most important presentation to make of all my studies and i don't succeed to do hard shadows an soft shadows with renderworks in 3dimensions. i want to do a section were the background is in 3d rendered withs shadows but i need to show hard shadows and i don't know how to do it. i'm using vector works 2012 student version.

does anyone have an idea?

Thank's a lot

I'am using a macbook pro 13"

Edited by kemy

Hi, thanks!

I have already looked at this post but it didn't help, I've put a sun in my document and i have tried to render with fast renderworks, custom renderworks and final quality renderworks but was unable to see hard shadows. I made a test once and the hard shadows were there but I never succeed to redo it.

Good day

Try placing a light in the drawing and setting the intensity higher. Select Cast shadows and deselect soft shadows in the OIP when light is active/selected.

Set your distance fall and angle fall to none. This gives you no fall off so just a direct light beam, should create harder shadows. Try doing it with a Directional and a spot light to see if the one works better.

Other than that I'm not to sure what can be done exept for the 3 point light way which could be set far away when light is a Directional light.

Keep Well

All right i tried in a new document and i suceed to see hard shadows in perspective view. i delete the old sun that i had put in my project and replace it with a new fresh one and miracle!! i can see hard shadows in perspective mode... but still have problem in section viewports were the render is really weird :S . I think the old sun was on a screen plane... I don;t really know what this mean.

I'm trying to have a better render in the section view but have made many test of different settings and all of them have some weird circles inside.

all right, i've reseted one more time the sun and with final quality renderworks, indirect lighting to normal (2) and hdri white it's working!!! it is a bit burned but I suppose that some settings could change that..... for those who have same problem I suggest them to clean there lights and put new ones.

what do you think about this render? what should I do to make it better?

thank you for helping me, I hope this will help others too.

Edited by kemy

Looks pretty good to me. I'd be tempted to provide a little more contrast between the sectional element and the elevational element. Perhaps by giving your section hatch a grey fill and thickening the section line to, say, 0.50 mm or more. I'd also be tempted to lighten the elevational part of the drawing so it doesn't dominate.