getting hardscapes to follow Site Model surface

Craig D.S.

I was able to get my site model to generate properly by elevating all the 2d components and hardscapes etc. up to the lowest elevation point above sea level (276.46m)(thanks Tamsin)

Now I can't seem to get the asphalt hardscape to show itself as a texture following the surface of the site model...

the various 3d options for the hardscape don't seem to address that(AFAK)

It doesn't seem to matter If I Send to Surface and Update the surface either

I find this prog very difficult as I am from the ArchiCAD school of thought for the last 6 years

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Craig,

A few things may be worth checking...in the hardscape settings, does the hardscape have a class set for the main area? In the show 3D, does it reflect by class, or is another texture picked? If it is by class, does the class have the texture picked in the other "tab" (i.e. Walls, Roofs, Other). In the Site model, is it set to show the proposed site model in 3D? Do you have it set to allow only modifiers for the same layer as the site model? (if so, is the hardscape on the same layer?) the other choices would have made it more apt to show, if they were visible.

Eric

I can get the textures to show on the hardscapes as slabs sent to the Surface O.K.

Its just the slabs are flat and disappear inder neath the higher areas.

I am trying to get it to follow the surface of the mesh

Craig,

A few things may be worth checking...

in the hardscape settings, does the hardscape have a class set for the main area? - YES, by Class

In the show 3D, does it reflect by class, or is another texture picked? - YES, by Class

If it is by class, does the class have the texture picked in the other "tab" (i.e. Walls, Roofs, Other - YES Other )

In the Site model, is it set to show the proposed site model in 3D? - YES 3dStyle: 3d Mesh Solid

Do you have it set to allow only modifiers for the same layer as the site model? - NO all layers

(if so, is the hardscape on the same layer?) the other choices would have made it more apt to show, if they were visible. - All Visible

Edited by Craig D.S.

Craig,Then the settings should not be set as a slab, but should be set as a texture bed modifier. This will not modify the terrain, but it will then map the texture to the terrain. In order for the same area to be regraded, you will have to have a site modifier in the same place "telling" it how to regrade the proposed site model. The the hardscape set to be a texture bed modifier will be shown in the rendered site model, following the proposed terrain.

HI Craig and Eric

Do you need the hardscape to change flatten the site - to regrade it to a flat surface where the hardscape is? If so, you need to choose Pad Modifier instead of Slab. A slab is just like an extrude - it doesn't include any modifier to change a site model. But the Pad Modifier will create a slab AND a pad modifier underneath it. Then you'll just need a boundary to limit how much of the site should be updated when you update the model.

Another idea... I can't see the attributes palette on your screenshot, but check that your hardscape has a solid fill. Without it, it won't display a renderworks texture.

Hope that helps.

Tamsin, hopefully Craig will correct me if I'm wrong, but from the title of his post and the descriptions he's making, I didn't think the pad modifier was it since it wouldn't have followed the surface...it would have changed the surface, and since it wouldn't slope, that usually is not preferred.

Eric

Thanks for helping out

I tried Texture bed Modifier the first time, but the Hardscape disappears, though remains active in the Object Info, and the render tab says 'Cannot apply texture to object'.

even after Updating the mesh it does not show rendered

Thats why I switched to 'Slab'

I tried both 'Send to Surface' and not

Hi Craig,

Tech support for your copy of Vectorworks is with us, and this sounds like one of those problems that's far easier to diagnose when looking at it. If you'd like to send a file, we'd be happy to take a look. I'll send you a note offline with info where you can upload a file.

Geoff McBeath

Resolve Software Solutions