Vectorworks 2012 Model Setup

Kromer

I recently upgraded to Vectorworks 2012, from the 2011 version. There are a lot of improvements and the renderings are much better, but I am having trouble of finding the "Model Setup". In the 2011 it was under "File - Documents Settings - Model Setup" and from there a building template was easily created. Can someone please tell me where can I find this function in the 2012 version? Thank you

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Kromer

It's not there anymore! You now set up your layers using the new Stories functionality.

A story is created for each story in the building, and design layers with specific level types (e.g. Finished Floor, Walls, Ceiling etc.) are assigned to the story with elevations relative to the story. Architectural objects are "story aware" so they are bound to specific level types within the story structure.

Probably best to have a look at the Help on the subject to get some more detail, but that's an overview. Ultimately, it's much more flexible because if you change the elevation of a story, all the design layers and objects that are bound to the story will adjust automatically. And it's easier for transfer out to IFC.

Hope that helps get you started.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're welcome.

In a way it is very similar - the key difference is that only the story elevation is "absolute". The design layers associated with that story have their elevations set relative to the story. So, if the story changes, they change automatically.

Have fun!

I am now using the stories function for my model set-up, which is generally a nice improvement over the former model set-up function.

But if I recall correctly, there used to be a option to specify the floor plan "cut height", and I can't find where to set this now.

Anybody know how to set this? Or is this not possible?