Images on rotated 3d objects

Hi there,

I am have three boxes that I have stacked on top of each other and I want to put logos on each side of the boxes. How to I attached the image files to the boxes so that when I change the view on them the images rotate with the boxes and don't just end up lost in space?

Also, when I render, how do I render all layers at the same time?

Thank you!

A visual of the logos would be helpful, but in general the logo(s) will need to be 3d Objects. They can then be placed "on" the appropriate side(s) of the boxes.

All layers should render if a) Show, (or Show Snap) Others is the active Layer Mode and if b) Unified View is ON...

You should remember that Layers in VW's are very different from Layers in other programs. Also that VW's has both Layers and Classes which can be 'interwoven' to create many visibility options.

Post back if needed...

Thanks Peter. I don't know how to attach a file here otherwise I would and show you the logo. But they are basically just silhouettes of cheerleaders doing various jumps. Nothing too crazy. I will attempt to make them 3D.

As for the layers, it is weird as I have it set to Show, Snap, Modify, but it won't even let me modify the other layers. Not sure if I accidentally click some weird setting I am unaware of....

Peter,

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying I would need to draw the images myself? That seems a bit difficult. There is no way to just convert the image file to 2D polylines? Basically I have just imported JPGs, and if I had to try and draw them myself as 2D polylines it really would not look very good.

Any thoughts as to why my layers are acting strange?

I think Peter meant that each image (jpeg? png?) needs to be made into a texture, and each texture applied to a unique 3d object. He suggests that you make a thin extrude as the target object for each image, and place/rotate/locate the extrudes onto the faces you boxes.

All good.

Another way is to convert the box faces to NURBS surfaces. Assuming your boxes are final size and shape, and made from extruded rectangles:

Make am image texture from each of your images.

Select a box and convert it to NURBS: Modify>Convert>Convert to NURBS

Result is a group. Enter the group to find 6 NURBS surfaces.

Select one of the surfaces and apply an image texture to it via Render tab in OIP.

Render in Open GL

Use the Attribute Mapping tool (Basic Tool set) to move image where you want it on the surface.

Repeat for other surfaces as required.

Exit group

Repeat for other boxes.

-B

Regarding layers.

The setting for Show,Snap,Modify Other Layers should allow you to see, select and modify objects on other layers. Is that not working?

Or is the view of the layers not as expected? To make all the layers line up while you change view, enable the Unified View in the View menu. But this only works for visible layers of the same scale. Read about Unified View in Vectorworks Help.

Describe a bit more what you are experiencing.

-B

Benson,

In regards to the layers, the setting for Show, Snap, Modify Other Layers is not in fact, allowing me to modify other layers. I still have to go up and select each individual layer if I want to modify them. For example, I have each box on a separate layer (I am sure there is an easier way but it is the only way I could get them to sit on top of each other) and let's say I need to move them all up a few inches on the screen. Normally I could just select them all with the Show, Snap, Modify Other Layers on, but it is not letting me. I have to select each layer and shift each box up individually. This is not the first this has happened where suddenly I don't have control over the layers like normal, so I am not sure what is happening to cause it.

I will try making my images a texture and seeing how that works. Thanks very much for the input.

Ok,

I cannot figure this out. I tried making a texture but I cannot figure out how to apply it, plus it looks like it is tiled, which is not what I want. I have been trying to figure this out in VW help, but it is anything but helpful. I have now spent hours on this seemingly simple project and am getting so frustrated :( Could someone please act like I am a 5 year old and walk me through this, because clearly I am missing some vital step that I should just know, but clearly don't. I really really appreciate the help here, but I am stuck by own lack of knowledge of certain things that I am sure would make this process go by so much easier. Teaching myself VW is rather difficult and slow going (yes, I would take classes if they were affordable). I think my client is just going to have to use their imagination on this one as I have hit a wall and can't seem to get around it.

Thanks again for your help guys. I will try this again at a later date, but for now I have other projects I have to get finished today.

Lindsey

Slightly off topic, and apologies if you already know this, but on a Mac you can hide the dock to give you a little more screen real estate.

Go to System preferences>Dock and tick Automatically hide and show the Dock.

The dock will then reside out of sight and only appear when you put the cursor near the edge of the screen, and you can expand the Vectorworks page down close to the bottom of the screen.

You can also have the dock at the left or right hand side of the screen if you prefer.

As with most things Vectorworks, there are several ways to do these things. Read VWX Help topics about image textures.

Texture notes:

Create image textures:

Put jpgs or pngs of each silhouette on your hard drive (Desktop, for instance)

Resource Browser> Resources disclosure triangle> New Resource in Drawing> Renderworks Texture.

In the dialog choose Color>Image>Import image.

Browse to the image & click OK.

Repeat for each image.

Apply textures:

Select the object which needs a texture.

At top of the OIP (Object Info Palette) click the Render Tab and open the Texture dropdown menu which will show all the textures in the drawing. Drag down the list to the texture you want to apply.

Tiled? Wrong Scale?

Select the textured object.

Adjust texture parameters in the OIP Render tab -Scale, Rotation, Horiz/Vert Repeat (tile), etc

or

Adjust with the Attribute Mapping (in Basic 2d tool palette) tool by dragging the texture area, corners or centers of the attribute perimeter

or

Adjust via texture definition in the Resource Browser- Right click>Edit.

Good luck

-B