360? Interior Animation

Good Day Everyone,

Background:

I have set up a 360? interior rendering of a unit in an apartment building. I am using a selected 3D locus as my orbit point. The image has many light objects, and is fairly complex, but we tried to simplify as much as possible. A final quality rendering takes about 10minutes to render with out any interior bouncing. The time on the movie is set to 30seconds and results in 901 frames @ 30 frames a second. (which I dont understand why its 901 and not 900 frames.)

The Trouble:

Vectorworks keeps crashing. It will render 100 150 frames sometimes more then crashes. Its frustrating because it takes 6 or 7 hours to get that far in then crashes.

We have exported many different types of files at different qualities with no luck. I did manage to get an Open GL animation but its no good to send to a client.

Does any one have any suggestion or has encountered this problem before?

I'm not entirely convinced it is a Hardware issue.

Thank-you

Edited by John Meunier

Its been a long time since I did animations but I would suspect its ram or free hard drive space related. Your hard drive needs to store all of those renderings and then link them all together into one single animation. Someone with more recent experience might be able to give you more detail.

When I used to do animations and ran into these types of issues we ended up using Virtual Reality Panoramas. (I'm talking 12+ years ago). Since you are already doing a 360 degree animation this might work better for you. If you are not familiar with them they are a single rendering that wraps the full 360 degrees around a single point. When you view the VR Panorama it is interactive and you can control panning left and right and a little bit up and down. You can then link these points together so you can 'step' through a large model.

I once created an elaborate VR Panorama that had numerous view points inside and outside the model..maybe 12. Your cursor changes when it is over a VR point within the rendering and when you pick it you jump to the next point. You could tour the whole building and it only took 12 renderings instead of 20 renderings p/sec over the course of a couple minutes. (we did that too with the same model)

There is some time consuming work with regards to linking the points and default views, etc. But like I said, it was 12 years ago and I don't know the state of these tools today. I would hope much better then what I worked with.

Good Luck