Detailed Brickwork

CraigN91

Hi Craig, You *might* be able to mimic the undulations, at least from a distance, using a custom made texture which has the undulation (as 2d only image) as a repeating feature... While you can certainly can create a Nurbs Object with waves/undulations, etc. I believe it will be difficult to achieve the variable exposure of the bricks unless each is modeled. With this approach you could probably use some creative "duplicate array" to get there, but it would be a giant PITA. One other possible solution would be to use various nurds objects 'layered' over one another some protrude and other recede...

Bad Luck we dont have a concrete precast tool (LOL, we have a framing tool for USA use?)....Whats needed is the ability to insert a symbol on a symbol in the wall eg cast concrete->insert inverted form patern->insert the window thru both.Thanks for posting the images NNA Software engineers please take a good look at them.

This is fairly easy. Assume brick faces are 10x4 and 5x4 with 3? thickness. And the basic module/array is a 10? x 10 square. All this is done in Top Plan

1. Make the 10?square undulating shape with 3d poly triangles. Center and corners are at z=0, Mid edges are at z=6?

2. Add Solids

3. Use Contour Tool (3d tool set) to make contours at 4? increment.

4. Put the contours in a new layer, ungroup, Convert to 3d Polys, Ungroup again, and Create Site Model.

5. Make 4 symbols (extrudes) 10? brick, 10? brick end cut, 5? brick, 5? brick end cut.

6. Layout array of brick symbols to cover entire 10? square and position it over the site model.

7. Select all brick symbols, Send to Surface

8. Group the bricks, and send them to a new layer to separate them from the site model.

Refine by cutting windows out of contour group prior to site model operation.

Alternately, each brick course can be individually aligned, from the array to a contour z value. That way the ?rule? for penetration of each brick can be set manually. PITA

-B

PS, those long URLs in the original post are stretching out past the borders of my display. Is there a way to wrap them?

Edited by Benson Shaw
Now if we could only get the result to behave like a Wall

Would cladding units like these normally be modeled as Walls or wall components? (question, not sarcasm - I hardly ever use walls, so do not know the practices). Seems that the structural wall with corners, window bumpouts, connection points, etc would determine the cladding module parameters, and the cladding would then be designed and fabricated as separate units to fit onto the walls. The apartment seems to have only a few types of the modules-window left & right (mirrored), top of building, maybe something special at street level. All of these can be easily created by cutting the contours according to elevation outlines from the Walls prior to site model creation.

9. Alter panel Brick-by-Brick.

The send to surface has its own rule: Selected objects move along z axis from initial positions to the surface. Results are as shown with no individual z adjustments. If there is some need to alter the z values for "looks" or some other rules, then, yes, alter brick by brick as nec. Or mod the site model/surface according to fit the new rules and Send to Surface again. Does ACAD, Revit, or other software mentioned for the apartment bldg project have some way to create, apply and edit rules for this array? Or did they also need to alter a few zs to get the look they wanted? Again, questions, not sarcasm. I have no experience with any of that other software.

-B

Hi thanks for all the advice, i have attached a image of the start to the model i have created.

By creating the brick size in front view then extruding to create the 3d brick, i then using the 2d polygon in plan view drew from the corner at a 5 degree angle, then extruding this i selected the two objects and subtracted solids in order to get the different angles.

This is probably a very basic way to do it but seems to have worked as i am not very knowledgable with the programme! if you are wondering why the 4th course is blank i intend on having a straight course to diversify the shape.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Brick by brick is OK if you have the patience. But to keep down the file size and CPU overhead, make a symbol of a brick, and build the wall with instances of the symbol. Otherwise, after you get hundreds of extrude bricks, drawing will be laggy and render times will skyrocket.

Look in Vectorworks help about creating symbols.

If you did not already discover them, you might also like to learn the Mirror tool (Basic tool set), and the Duplicate Along Path and Duplicate Array commands (Edit Menu).

Post back some progress images of your new surface.

-B