Do I need Sketchup when I move to Vectorworks Landmark?

Ruralguy

I am new to the group but have been lurking for a while now. I have reviewed the posts for this subject and have gleaned a little but could use some specific insight.

I am a landscape architect and practice in rural site development and landscaping. I left Microstation after 15 years when I was forced to retire (but not retire) and spent the last three years with ACAD LT. Gradually moved into Sketch-up and like working with it but much improvement is needed.

I spend most of my work with a single contractor and want to expand my capabilities to providing material take offs (something ACAD LT can't do and it is too expensive to go to full version) and better 2D graphics. I also want to move from hand sketching (as a default practice) to more digital imagery both in perspectives and plan. I also use Photoshop Suite but have not tapped it's capabilities well yet.

I have sidelined my laptop and bought a PC (windows) with a lot of guts and speed. I have reviewed all I can on Vectorworks Landmark and feel it is right for what I want to accomplish.

I am debating though if I need to have a pro version of Sketch-up if I have VW. It appears that VW 3D is superior to Sketch-up but I notice a lot of VW folks seem to export to Sketch-up. I am a little confused as to how these two softwares work with each other and if I need both.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Ruralguy, My 2?: Start with getting as much training in VW's as you can afford, both time and $$ wise. I was once fairly proficient at SU, but more or less abandoned it after they were bought by Google. Once you get up to speed with VW's you probably won't miss SU at all...

Also, it is generally helpful if you create a signature which includes your system, OS and VW's spec's... (My Stuff>Edit Profile above)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

HI Ruralguy

I agree with Peter. You won't miss Sketchup at all. I was training a group the other day on Landmark, and they also asked me some Sketchup questions. It was a while since I'd fire it up, but I found it so clunky. The ability to immediately push/pull objects in VW is fantastic.

In addition, you'll find all the takeoffs useful. The planting and hardscape tools are fabulous, you can draw walls that know they are walls and you can also create a model of site and modify contours. And the way these tools are organised, you only need to draw in plan if that's comfortable and familiar to you. The 3D will be developing under the covers with little interaction from you.

Good luck on your exciting new journey!

• 1 month later...

Peter and Tamsin, do you have any specific recommendations on training? Any particular online videos or books you would recommend for the 3-d piece? I am a few months into VW, and while I like the 2D capabilities, I am really underwhelmed by the 3-D. I am having twinges of buyer's remorse and wondering if I would have been better off with my basic old CAD and Sketch Up, or Land F/X which has a direct plug-in. Part of the issue is that I like the look of Sketch Up a lot more than anything I have been able to produce in VW. Is this just a question of learning curve? Talk me down!

I would love any insight people have on this, and Jim, I'd love the hear how you are making out.

thank you!

Brooke

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ahem... well, how about my Landmark book? It's 2D and 3D right from the start and will get you using the hybrid tools (those that are 2D and 3D automatically) and modeling your own objects from scratch. It also covers exterior lighting and rendering.

You can find more information here but as you are the US you can order directly from Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc.

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/Learn_Vectorworks/Vectorworks_2010_Garden_Design_Book.aspx

The book was updated for 2012 last autumn.

For the 3D part, do you have Renderworks - that's the bit that's going to make it look great in 3D.

Hope that helps.

Vectorworks Landmark with Renderworks is ideal for landscape design / architecture

Tamsin?s book is excellent. Awhile ago I was asked by NV to review her then version but did not get to it due to some serious family issues. Sorry Tamsin and LL.

However Tamsin is a great teacher and her book in my view provides an enthusiastic newbie with exercises they can get their teeth into to really learn about VWLRW and how to use it.

Recently I was asked to train another landscape designer and did. Most weeks we hook up through online software that allows me to control his computer to sort through issues if he gets himself into difficulties.

My tips ? grab Tamsin?s book, work through her exercises and be very disciplined with your workflows in VW

Learn correctly how to use the plant database, how to build your own library of plants, use resources wisely and well, use layers classes and attributes properly and again be disciplined, disciplined and disciplined

Did I mention disciplined

Learn about site modelling

Find a trainer you can hook up with online to help you through some of the gggrrrr - @#*&%$ moments

Last week D, the guy I have been training presented me with a drawing that did my head in but quickly we worked through it; had him going again within 20 to 30 minutes and away he went

VW is deep and complex software but it does so much and now having used it for seven versions know it is always evolving as it must.

This forum has many who contribute and give of their time help ? ask questions!

Tamsin and Ozzie,

thanks so much to both of you for your quick replies. Tamsin, I actually have your book and LOVE it. It is really well written and well laid out. It totally got me started up and working comfortably in 2-d, but perhaps I didn't spend enough time on the 3-D chapters. I will go back and go through those exercises again. Although I am able to create 3-D symbols for my plants, they don't always look as they should (too small generally), so I think I probably need to focus on that some more, as well as using other textures. I also think more training on site modeling will be crucial for me. I have figured out how to create a site model, but have had trouble getting all of the other layers to follow it.

I apologize if my first post was a bit rant like...I think a large part of my problem is probably that I wish I was further along in my abilities as my spring workload increases. Patience.

I still would be curious to hear if others still export to Sketch-Up, or preferably, how they get a similar look within Landmark.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,

Brooke