Set origin dragging

Using Vectorworks 2012 (SP2) educational version on a Mac using OSX 10.6.8

I use Set origin (doing a theatre lighting plot, so this is a very useful and important function), but after a while I notice that my centre line, rather than being at X value 0 where I set it, is at around 300-something feet. I can't figure out what I'm doing...I figure I must be accidentally dragging the origin. I selected 'disable dragging for the set origin button' but the origin still keeps moving. Can anyone tell me what exactly is happening here? Is there a way to set my origin and then disable this function completely?

Thanks.

I would tend to avoid moving the origin ever. Files seem to do weird, non-repeatable things after doing it. I always move the objects relative to the origin instead. You will also soon discover that the 3D origin is fixed, it is only the 2D origin you are moving anyway.

Ultimately the only way I've found to clean things up is to cut and paste into a new file. Depending on your file, this may not be a quick process.

Kevin