BIM / Wall Components - plan AND section fills

Chris D

Question

BIM workflow.

If I'm right, a section through a wall with several components can either show a generic fill or use the component class fills.

The trouble with component class fills is that there is only one class allowed per wall component, so we can't display the wall differently in plan and section........because in the 2D drafting world we would show masonry coursing in our hatches. I'm not planning on drawing 2D lines on my sections when I have perfectly good hatch patterns to do it for me!

My wish is either for separate plan/section fills for walls.....OR for building material definitions within VW which can have attributes for plan/section and elevation.

16 answers to this question

Or you sure you have set the attributes of the wall components by class? Because it should work.

Definitely, as we are testing with our standard walls which have classed components. We don't deviate from class generally and use viewport overrides (sheet layer) extensively.

Or you sure you have set the attributes of the wall components by class? Because it should work.

Definitely, as we are testing with our standard walls which have classed components. We don't deviate from class generally and use viewport overrides (sheet layer) extensively.

I tested it here with v2012 and it works. Check your wall or wall style to see if the components have their attributes set by class.

Also make sure you use the attributes of the classes in the section viewport options.

OK, we've tested this more extensively this morning. We can get it to work, but it's definitely buggy.

What's happening is there is some 'stickiness' going on with the component fill displays that the 'Update' button of the viewport is not changing. One wall type we created this morning had 3 components and we could easily override the outer two component fills, but not the inner one. We cleared the stickiness by changing the general class fill for that component in the main Org Palette, to verify that the component was displaying by class in the viewport, and lo and behold the override suddenly took effect.

I'll amend my bugsubmit.

This still doesn't seem to be fixed in 2012 SP4.

Once you get the hatch override to work, If you update the viewport it reverts back to the original hatch.

This takes a lot of time to sort out, every time i issue a revised drawing, will probably manually draw the lines in the annotations layer for the brick and block joints.

≠BIM FAIL