reuse landscape area settings?

Carlosmp

hello there.

I've been working on setting up some templates for our office, and I have ran into a bit of a puzzle to me.

I set up a landscape area with a specific mix of plants lets say Mix1, which I can draw multiple times.

However, if I change the mix and draw a few more planting beds with Mix2 and then want to use Mix1 again, I have not found a way to go back to the Mix1 without specifying the plant mix all over again manually.

Is there a way to save these mixes for re-use? similar to what the hardscape tool does.

save as a resource? run a script?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

You can do this as follows:

Click the Eyedropper tool and click Preferences. Check the box to Pick up Plug in Parameters.

Then you can pick up parameters from one landscape area and use the second mode to transfer from one to the other.

To save them for future use:

Set up your Landscape Area with Mix 1 - draw a small sample of this on your drawing area. Select the area and choose Modify>Create Symbol. On the dialog, ensure you check Create Plug-in. The ensures that the symbol will remember it is a Landscape Area.

To use it, drag it onto any drawing. You can then either use the Reshape tool to make it the shape you need, or draw a new area and eyedropper the preferences across.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

Landscape area tool is great and when I first used it when it was introduced was pleasantly surprised

It is good for quick and dirty hedges also.

Plant definitions store plant spacing as an option

Because the Landscape Area Tool is great fore mass plantings of one variety of plant or mixed % plantings; as well as spacing for plants we need a per square metre or square yard density for some plant definitions just like spacing ? you certainly would not use it for all

Most grasses and tufts ? strap leaf plants even annuals, groundcovers etc etc used for mass plantings or percentage mixes should be planted at a square metre or a square yard rate ? percentage does the distribution if you use it. The number planted per square metre / square yard varies from plant species to plant species dependent on their growing size

I think we need distribution as an option for plant definitions and if the Landscape Area tool could include linear for say hedges or plants in a line or even curve, grab the default spacing for that plant and as an option do the same for distribution per square metre / yard for mass / % plantings we would have an even better tool

And if ever the US of A changed from imperial to metric wouldn't it save a lot of typing

Tamsin, thats exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you so much!!

I completely missed the Plug in parameters in the Eye dropper tool so when I tried it before it did not work.

You're correct Ozzie, the landscape area tool is very handy, for quick conceptual plans its very quick and easy.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and help!

Have a great weekend guys!

• 7 years later...
On 1/27/2012 at 9:56 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

To save them for future use:

Set up your Landscape Area with Mix 1 - draw a small sample of this on your drawing area. Select the area and choose Modify>Create Symbol. On the dialog, ensure you check Create Plug-in. The ensures that the symbol will remember it is a Landscape Area.

@Tamsin Slatter, I see that this post is from 2012 so just wanted to confirm, if in 2019 this is the same as 'Save Landscape Area...' available from the properties tab? Or there are two different procedures? Many thanks for clarification.

BTW, I couldn't gather why I wasn't able to do this with the Pickup and then the Bucket Modes of the Planting Area tool. I suppose they work slightly differently. Glad to have found this post.

Regards.

• Like 1