New Vectorworks Tutorial for Scenic and Lighting Design Available

Guest Lisa Lance

How-to guide provides a range of exercises for students, instructors and professional designers

Columbia, Maryland (January 26, 2012) ? Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc. is pleased to announce the publication of a new training guide for users of Vectorworks? software: Entertainment and Lighting Design with Vectorworks Spotlight, First Edition. The manual was written by Kevin Lee Allen, an award-winning lighting and scenic designer whose work includes theater, film, television, museums and corporate environments.

This book explores the use of the Vectorworks Spotlight with Renderworks? program for use in the entertainment industries. While the methods and techniques described are applicable to film, television, concerts, exhibits, and themed architecture or interiors, this tutorial focuses on a project that creates lights and a set for the stage, the root of entertainment design.

?It is definitely going to be my course textbook for this semester because, despite my students having different needs than entertainment designers, it specifically lists the most important tools, commands and workflows and talks a little about each one,? said Cris Dopher, Entertainment Design, Instructor, FIT.

From one step beyond traditional pencil thumbnails, this guide outlines a process of design development and collaboration with other designers and technical staff. The text is tutorial-based and directs the user to create two projects, each supported by a series of simple exercises. The first project is the creation of a simple 3D form, and the second project entails the creation of a scenic and lighting design for a theoretical production of Romeo and Juliet.

"Although I started out in the industry as a hand-draftsman and renderer, Vectorworks has streamlined my operations and accuracy,? said Allen. ?I?ve been teaching Vectorworks software at theater festivals and universities for years, and I?m thrilled to share these skills and methods with users around the world.?

This book is written for professional designers as well as designers in education (students, instructors, schools). It is intended for use with Vectorworks 2012 software and is most applicable for Vectorworks Spotlight and Designer users. It is a part of Nemetschek Vectorworks? self-paced training options, designed for people who like to learn on their own and at their own pace. For more information and to purchase these tutorials, please visit www.vectorworks.net/training/guides.

The tutorial will also be part of the prize package for the iSquint.net and Stage Directions Student Lighting Design Competition (SLDC), sponsored by Nemetschek Vectorworks, City Theatrical and Field Template. Allen serves on the competition?s panel of judges. Entries are due March 16, 2012, and the winner will be announced at the USITT Conference on March 29. For more information and to view the complete rules, please visit: http://isquint.net/student-design-competition.

To obtain high-resolution book cover art, please visit our Flickr page at http://tinyurl.com/6lu4enz.

About Kevin Lee Allen

Kevin Lee Allen is a multiple-award-winning scenic and lighting designer who works in theater, film, television, museums and corporate environments, including architainment, exhibits, fashion and special events. Notable projects include work for Fox News, the United States Government, CNN and CNN International, a virtual interview with Benjamin Franklin, productions of Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest and the Chase Bank Flagship Signage in Times Square. His design sketches are held in private collections and in the permanent collection of the Library of Congress. Allen has been a Vectorworks software user since MiniCAD version 3. He has taught Vectorworks courses at the university level and has given lectures and demonstrations at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (Region 2 Festivals). For more information, visit http://klad.com.

About Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc.

Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nemetschek AG and has been developing software since 1985. The Vectorworks line of software products provides professional design solutions for more than 450,000 designers in the AEC, entertainment and landscape design industries. With a tradition of designing flexible, versatile, intuitive and affordable CAD and BIM solutions, Nemetschek Vectorworks continues to be a global leader in 3D design technologies. For more information, visit www.vectorworks.net.