bulk loading of VW serials

Hello,

I am about to install 25 copies of SL 9.51. Is there anyway to add ALL of the serial numbers only once so that when SL starts up and checks the network for other machines (it does that...right?) I won't have to type in *every* serial on *every* machine!

Thanks,

Patrick ImmelNorthwest Missouri State University

On the Mac you can install all the numbers onto a single machine and then copy the preferences file from one machine to another.

On Windows, the serial numbers are installed into the registry under /hkey_local_machine/software/nemetschek. Once all the numbers are installed, you can just copy this key and its sub keys from machine to machine.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Not sure if this can be done on Windows,but on Mac what I do is on one machine enter all the numbers in. Then shut down VectorWorks and copy the VectorWorks pref file of this machines into the pref folder of all the other machines.

HTHDave

Hey Matthew,

I got as far as entering in all 25 serials and they are listed in the registry. I don't want to sound dumb...careful maybe...do I copy just the "registration" sub-key? How do I do that? How do I copy to other machines? I know the first thing I do is backup the registry...then I'm sorta lost!

Thanks,

Pat

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Giampapa:
On the Mac you can install all the numbers onto a single machine and then copy the preferences file from one machine to another.

On Windows, the serial numbers are installed into the registry under /hkey_local_machine/software/nemetschek. Once all the numbers are installed, you can just copy this key and its sub keys from machine to machine.

Ok, here it is step by step...

1) Setup one machine so that it has all of the serial numbers installed.

2) Go to the start menu -> run, and type in regedit and click ok.

3) On the left hand side, expand the folders "hkey_local_machine", then "software", then "nemetschek"

4) Click on the nemetschek folder so it is selected, then go to the file menu -> export. Make sure the export range is set to the selected branch. (it should be by default)

5) Name the file and save it.

6) Copy this file to each of the other machines and double click on it. Then click yes...

(Note if you are running an NT/2K/XP based windows system, you should be logged on as a local administrator to do this.)

I hope this helps,Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

I think you will find that neither of these methods work anymore (since VW 9.5.0). The problem is, that the first thing the Installer requires is a serial number, regardless of whether a pres file [registry file - Windows] already exists. Unfortunate, but I believe this is the case. Interested to know if you find a work-around.

Yes, you still have to install the software, which requires typing in one of the serial numbers.

Doing the above steps will over write that one number and add the rest to the system.

Also, the 9.5 and later installers should be checking for the presence of the serial number first, and inputting the first one it finds into the installer for you.