vwks 2011 cannot select any walls anymore

Ok so this is the latest in a series of weirdness I am experiencing with 2011. So I am merrily working away on a project working back & forth in 3d and for some reason now I cannot select any wall door or window in the file. I try to click on them or lasso them and nothing. When I do a "custom selection" on walls it shows that they are selected in the info dialog but they are not highlighted. when I do a "select all" they do not show up highlighted. When I export the file to 2010 same thing. When I go back using time machine and get the early version from this morning I can select them. I fixed disk permissions. no difference. WTF... I hate to loose a days work but... Any ideas ?

Another thing, previously I was in a 3d front or side view and tried to draw a line to use as a guide. I draw the line and nothing shows up on the screen, but it shows a line in the info pallet. Am I missing something ?

Recently on another file when i create a simple roof from a rectangle and try to change the default hip configuration to a gable configuration after it is created, the program freezes, the dreaded spinning beach ball. I exported the file to 2010 and there is no problems.

Thank you for any suggestions

I have 2011 architect sp5 on a

powermac 2x 2.66 dual core xeon

3gb of ram

OS 10.6.8