Where are my backup files

Can anyone help

I have my auto back up set to 10 min intervals ( 2 files) and backing up to a /users/documents/VW back up file on my hard drive. The project files I am working with are stored on a remote server. I have had two crashes over the past couple of days but when I have gone to retrieve the back up file I find that they are only from approx 1 1/2 hours before the crash. You can imagine how annoying this is.

Perhaps Vectorworks should have a facility like the Excellent Autocad drawing recovery manager. This seems to make a much better job of getting you back to where you were after a crash.

Thanks

Dominic

Edited by Dom9362

Dominic,

Not totally sure here but check to make sure you have checked the autosave button in pref>autosave. also make sure you check "autosave backup copy to". And last ly check your path. I find the system to work great , but I have had issues like yours and it was because autosave was unchecked for some reason. Keep us posted on what you find.

Hi Bryan

All the autosave preferences appear to be correct. When I check that a backup has actually been created and is where I would expect to find and has the correct time, all seems to be fine.

It is only after a crash that when I go to retrieve the back up file I find that it is generally over an hour old against the 10 min intervals set in the preferences.

It appears to me that when Vectorworks crashes it also seems to take the back up file and replace it with a file that was made much earlier. This doesn't seem right but this is what appears to be happening.

Thanks

Dominic

I just noticed after having another look in autosave preferences that I have it set to

'keep the 2 most recent files'

But when I look in my backup folder the files there are not 10 mins appart

Edited by Dom9362
  • 9 years later...

My VW shut off unexpectedly and I seem to have lost everything I have been working on for the entire week. My autosave is on every 7 minutes and I can only find the old not worked on version of my project. I have like 30 hours of redraws in and am soooo upset. It says it should save to my projects and vw back up but it is know where to be found. It says the file has been back up as recently as an hour ago but again, it is the version with non of my work. Called VW and didn't get any help. Any ideas?

You may have checked already but double check again. Maybe you got the file location wrong or it’s in a different place with a very similar file address.

The back up location is in the preferences under the autsave tab.

Save the file that crashed under a different name so it’s backups don’t overwrite ones you might need if your prefs are to only save a limited number of backups.

This is pretty gut wrenching.I hope you can find the backups ok.

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1

When this happens to me and I break into a cold sweat... it usually turns out that I have done something like inadvertently saving the drawing into the wrong project folder. So, when I go and look for the last-saved version, and/or the backups, in the location they should be, they appear to be several days out of date.

Do some kind of search for "recent files" (or "open recent" in VW) and you might find that your drawing and all its backups are fine, they are just located in a different place from where you thought they were.

Another thing that can happen... I have a crash and then open a backup file, get distracted and start working on it without re-saving it as the main file. Then think it's disappeared but in fact it (and its backups) is nested within the backups folder for the original file.

• Like 1

In the interest of completeness you could run a system-wide search. Hopefully something come of it and the latest backup is actually just hiding in plain sight.

Backup files are written in the followin format:  FILENAME-Backup-YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.vwx

so a search of:

*-Backup-20210707* will find ALL the backup files from yesterday.

• Like 1