Stories: Elevational Reference Not Associated w/ Design Layer

Tom Klaber

I have been playing around with the new "stories" organization on a new project in our office. One thing I am already looking for is the ability to add an elevational reference without having to add a design layer. Right now I have Slab, Walls, Interior Walls, Furniture, and Ceiling. I would like to add Top of Parapet, Top of Bulkhead, Counter Height ect - but I do not want to have to have design layers for those. I want to build and hold my geometry on the few layers I have - but be able to reference those elevational heights.

Possible?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Tom, do your "walls" and "interior walls" start from the same (bottom) elevation? If you have a "Ceiling" story-layer, then you don't need separate layers for "walls" and "Interior walls". Just constrain your exterior wall tops and your interior wall tops to different story layers.

Particularly for users who have used the old "delta-z" process for a long time, it's kind of a mental shift to think about how the story layers work differently.

Tom, do your "walls" and "interior walls" start from the same (bottom) elevation? If you have a "Ceiling" story-layer, then you don't need separate layers for "walls" and "Interior walls". Just constrain your exterior wall tops and your interior wall tops to different story layers.

It doesn't matter. The point is that although we have those 'key elevations', we don't need the layers. If we want to work correctly with this, we need 4 layers for 1 story, 2 of which we actually use, 2 of which are just there to have an elevation we can bound to. If you have multiple levels of your building, you get twice as much layers as you need.

Can't you add a 3D loci, color it, lock it and reference it either by class or, if you need it by itself, on its own layer? That way you could move them away from your primary 3D building layer names on the Navigation palette for clarity.

Tom

Edited by Tom G.
Can't you add a 3D loci, color it, lock it and reference it either by class or, if you need it by itself, on its own layer? That way you could move them away from your primary 3D building layer names on the Navigation palette for clarity.

Tom

The thing is that we can bound walls, slabs, columns, ... to elevations set in a story layer. So using a 3D loci doesn't solve this.

They have a bug beta testing group but I don't think they have an early-beta testing group being asked to test for missing features.

Although I'm sure that's what the beta testers end up doing anyway. Just that it's usually too late in the process and the software engineers just want people to test for bugs.

They have a bug beta testing group but I don't think they have an early-beta testing group being asked to test for missing features.

Although I'm sure that's what the beta testers end up doing anyway. Just that it's usually too late in the process and the software engineers just want people to test for bugs.

Exactly.

I would really be interested to be part of the pre-beta feature completion testing group.

Let real people who do real jobs that are done with VW test the new features and let it tested by a lot of different kind of people/jobs so the features are being fully worked out before releasing the next version.

This thread has touched on some extremely important points.

1. The "Stories" feature wasn't thought through properly.

2. Lack of Story/Elevation Benchmark co-ordination is proof of 1. above.

3. As DWorks says, unnecessary creation of layers.

4. Beta tester are only there for testing bugs and have no say in direction of development (I'm sure beta testers would have picked this up)