Sign in to follow this  
Farookey

Uh oh! Shim Gap Space in VW2012 Elevations...

Alright!!!

Maybe it's in front of me and I can't see it... But I think it's best I ask now before pulling my hair out!

Having a look at VW2012 and some of it's new features, and although I am relatively impressed with some of the changes in the door and window plug-ins, I have found (and hopefully I am missing something) that the space for the shim gap can be seen in elevations. Although this has been partially on my wish list in order to snap to the rough opening in elevational views, I would prefer NOT TO SEE the actual gap in the views.

Hopefully it's just a setting that can be turned on and off, and not how it is MEANT to be!

I have attached visuals if you are wondering what I'm on about!

Awaiting your responses...

Farookey, I just did some fiddling and, congrat's, it's a brand new baby bug... There is a new checkbox in the OIP called "Show Shim Gap" but it appears to be ineffective. I will file a bug momentarily... For now, the obvious (yet annoying) workaround is to set the Shim Gap at 0... P

Sigh... Not a find I am proud of!

"Show Shim Gap" shows the shim gap in plan view...

File the bug and hopefully next SP will rectify the issue... Annoying annoying annoying!

Yes I notice that show shim gap is effective in top/plan. It should also be effective in other (3d) views... Bug filed....

Thanks... Await the changes...

I'd prefer the ability to have control over both instances separately.

Show shim in plan, but not in elevation, and vice versa, as opposed to showing shim for everything or nothing.

I'd prefer the ability to have control over both instances separately.

By viewport would be preferable?

This is done by design.

The Show Shim Gap button only controls the Top/Plan visibility of the gap. That's why the check is labeled "Show Shim Gap in Plan"

It is always shown in 3D views. This way the hole in the wall exactly matches the specification given - the object's overall width plus the shim gap.

I still think that it should be a preference for 3D views (if you wish to keep that level of detail).

How exactly then do you propose we fill that gap for elevational purposes?

How about a separate class for the shim (filled area)? Just a suggestion...