Disappearing Section Viewport Information

ServerBurn

My section viewports on my sheet layers eventually update to show only annotations and nothing else. This does not happen immediately usually is takes a couple hours of working in a file before it happens. I have noticed a few posts regarding this subject but they all seem to vary slightly as to the issue & sequence. Hopefully someone here has some advice as it has been become an increasingly frustrating problem. These are the steps that usually lead to the issue.

1. Create a section viewport on a design layer.

2. Cut & Paste copies of the same section viewport on my sheet layer to create more detailed views.

3. Dbl-click and go into Crop and crop the various copies to show specific areas in more detail.

3. Now at this point everything is usually fine for a bit. Eventually after some time has passed the viewports update to ONLY show the annotations. The information from the design layer is not visible. I have checked the class and layer visibilities and they all seem to be set appropriately.

Is this a bug or am I doing something else wrong?

Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance.

-TK @ Cabezon Design

OSX 10.6.8 \ VW 2011 SP4

• 1 month later...

In viewport advanced properties in the OIP, there is a checkbox for "render gray layers transparent". Unchecking this seems to restore my viewports, but their disappearance, or transparency was unpredictable anyway. I had never unchecked this box and have had only sporadic problems with surprise viewport transparency. Any ideas on how to have this box unchecked by default? I can't find a preference for this behavior, but may not be looking in the right place.

thanks,

Nick

False hope. Unchecking "render grey layers transparent" does not solve my problem. In order to "see" a viewport that has suddenly gone transparent, I need to alter layer visibilities in the OIP and then restore them, or switch layers and then return to the layer that the viewport resides on. This has got to be a bug, with identical behavior in 2011 and 2012.

Any one else see this?

Nick

Did you ever turn off all layers the viewport is "looking at" and then re-rendered it? We've found that they then loose their reference point and break. The solution was to have one layer with an inauspicious object on it, such as a floor at a low z-level that is always turned on, but doesn't disturb the drawing.

• 9 months later...