Help with VW vs. ACAD!! Please :)

Mark,

Aren't you going to have the same hardware issues with Autocad? I am assuming if VW2012 won't work on your current machine, neither will Autocad. It sounds like the first step is the machine, then you can give Autocad a trial run and perhaps also use the demo of Vectorworks 2012 as well.

VW 2012 runs fine under Lion. They advertise lots of improvements in the brochure but I find myself appreciating the lesser known ones. This has often been the case. I can't say I've used the new push pull stuff and I just find the automatic layer plane stuff in the way even though I work almost entirely in 3D. But I do appreciate the work with hidden line rendering (intersecting lines) and the amalgamation of many of the duplicate tools into a unified 2D/3D toolset. I experimented with Stories and it was fairly successful, though I don't specialize in architecture.

There is a lot more stability and functionality since VW2008. You can start to see the future with VW2012.

Kevin

Mark,

Aren't you going to have the same hardware issues with Autocad? I am assuming if VW2012 won't work on your current machine, neither will Autocad. It sounds like the first step is the machine, then you can give Autocad a trial run and perhaps also use the demo of Vectorworks 2012 as well.

VW 2012 runs fine under Lion. They advertise lots of improvements in the brochure but I find myself appreciating the lesser known ones. This has often been the case. I can't say I've used the new push pull stuff and I just find the automatic layer plane stuff in the way even though I work almost entirely in 3D. But I do appreciate the work with hidden line rendering (intersecting lines) and the amalgamation of many of the duplicate tools into a unified 2D/3D toolset. I experimented with Stories and it was fairly successful, though I don't specialize in architecture.

There is a lot more stability and functionality since VW2008. You can start to see the future with VW2012.

Kevin

Thanks for that, Kevin. Greatly appreciated! Yep ACad/Mac will require new computer, but at least I've already got the program. Part of what I was trying to get was some feedback from those who may have used or played around with ACad/Mac especially since I do architecture, and draw in 3d, and the only ACad available for mac is the vanilla flavor.

Also I was looking for VWA '08 functionality on Lion, not VW2012. Any thoughts?

Why not run your AutoCAD on Bootcamp (or a virtual desktop)?

Well, I'd at least try it, but I was given a licensed copy of ACAD for Mac and it requires better spec'd machine than I have. Of the computers I have, the most current is a 4,1 macbook (2.2 intel duo) that I actually bought for my kids before the economy really tanked.

Any further word about sticking with VWA+RW '08 for now on a new(er) mac?

Why not run your AutoCAD on Bootcamp (or a virtual desktop)?

Well, I'd at least try it, but I was given a licensed copy of ACAD for Mac and it requires better spec'd machine than I have. Of the computers I have, the most current is a 4,1 macbook (2.2 intel duo) that I actually bought for my kids before the economy really tanked.

Any further word about sticking with VWA+RW '08 for now on a new(er) mac?

oops! I was logged in under a different profile. Sorry to confuse.

Cheers, Mark

Sorry Mark, that was what you said earlier......I'm getting sloppy......

I guess my advice would be to get a new Mac.

With a new Mac you can run your VWs 2008 (if it runs on Lion) and your ACAD, regardless of what you prefer and the new Mac will also run a future upgrade of VWs when the economy picks up again. That way your investment will always be secure.

If the Mac version of ACAD is buggy you'll only feel more at home being a VWs user :grin:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=158433&Searchpage=9&Main=32148&Words=2008+lion&Search=true#Post158433

Edited by Vincent C