hole locations in 3D?

I've been using Vectorworks since MiniCAD 6. I'm currently using Vectorworks 2010.

I primarily do mechanical design and have been working exclusively in 2D. This hasn't been a problem as I generally do my own machining. These days I've been sending things out to be machined and more and more venders are asking for the files in 3D. So the time has come for me to learn to use VW's 3D.

My question is fairly fundamental. How can I locate features in 3D? When I'm designing in 2D, if I want a hole in a certain location, I offset a couple lines from the edges of the part (or centerline) to define the location of a center of a hole. How do you go about this in 3D?

I understand aligning the working plane with respect to the object, but I can't seem to draw reference lines on the face of the part or figure out how to precisely locate the hole I want to subtract. Any advice?

Welcome to the forum!

3d snaps are not always what is desired, but there is usually a point or two available. Newer versions have better 3d snaps.

One common technique is to square up the view (say on the end of a cylinder), draw a 2d circle on top (the 3d end should have some snap points, or maybe the center), and use the 2d object for reference. Establishing working planes and the Look At Working Plane feature can help with squaring up, but it's easy to get lost. Start with a test file and some simple shapes to get the hang of it.

Converting a few components or sub assemblies into symbols allows editing the symbol in square-on views without moving the component from it's position in the drawing. Start the symbol in easy to edit view. dbl click to edit a symbol (or choose edit in Resource Browser) - the view changes to symbol creation view.

Post more specific questions or sample sheets or files for better responses.

-B