3D symbols for an Observatory Dome project

Dan Davis

Hello,

I am new to the forum and use VW 12.5 Architect and Landmark. I am producing a 3D model of a proposed new Observatory and need some 3D symbols of people with telescopes on a viewing area just below our dome. In the dome, I would like to insert a modern 3D Cassegrain telescope, maybe 16" through the shutter.

Does anyone have a source for such symbols...I would appreciate some light on my problem....

Diego

If I need character figures, I use the VW character figure, put it in roughly the position and style that I need then decompose it into a 3D shape which I can then modify using the standard 3D tools.

I would have thought that modelling a telescope was fairly simple.

Attached is an example of a couple of stone statues that I made with this technique.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You don't mention if you have Renderworks, but if you do, you could also consider using Image Props, if you have access to image editing software. You need to remove the background from such images and crop them so that there is no blank space around them. Then, run Model > Create Image Prop and follow the instructions on the dialog. Create a Transparency Mask on this dialog and choose the background as a the transparency.

We made a short movie on how to do this... you can find this and other movies here:

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/Buy_Vectorworks/Training_for_Design_Vectorworks_Training_Gifts.aspx

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I did add some human symbols to give the Observatory structures some scale. I have a friend/professional illustrator who is rendering the scene in 3DS as the 3D illustration will be presented to three city Staff/Councils for their consideration in future Observatories. He did use my Vectorworks files for the basis of his work, which makes me feel good....

I am learning a lot by using the different tools and techniques and generally work on residential/commercial development projects.

later,

Diego