Viewing 2D in relation to 3D objects in VW 2011

walzo

Hi,

This might seem like an basic question, but as someone more familiar with Sketchup and ACAD it's totally baffling to me:

Is there a painless way to view 2D objects on a plane in relation to 3D objects in VW 2011? Like, at the same time? All I can come up with by googling around are video demos discussing the marvels of working planes in vague terms.

My traditional workflow is to draft in 2D, and extrude into 3D as needed. This becomes pretty confusing in VW when 3D objects suddenly start existing in an alternate universe as soon as I start modeling them, and un-extruded objects sit stubbornly on my screen like a ghost image on an old CRT.

I really don't understand why VW separates these two ideas in such an unintuitive way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thanks a million for the quick replies.

Now that I realize I've been drafting everything in the screen plane, is there anyway to move everything in bulk to the layer plane? I see that this option is only available in the OIP for certain objects (apparently not groups).

First , while in top/plan view, select all Screen Plane objects and change them to Layer Plane via the pulldown in the OIP. Unfortunately there is no Custom Select for Planar Attributes. Maybe someday. I'm sure a decent script writer could create a script for this... Second, to ensure that all design layers are aligned properly in 3d space, make sure that Unified View (formerly Stack Layers) is Active...

If you change the pulldown in the top center of the drawing window to Layer (instead of Screen) then all the objects you draw after that will be in the layer plane.

You might try using custom selection (Tools > Custom Selection...) to select items whose planes you want to change. Not sure if that will look inside of groups or not.

To keep your design layers synced up turn on Unified View. You can find it under the View menu or it can be placed in the tool bar at the top of the screen.

hth

mk

Thanks again. Sadly it appears that Unified View is one of the features oddly chosen for omission in Fundamentals.

I'm going to try my best not be snarky about this, but in general I wish the line between the Design series and Fundamentals was more consistent. Obviously something like creating risers and moving light fixtures automatically is an advanced, industry-specific feature and should be included in Spotlight. However something like this would seem to be part of the core workflow.

• 2 weeks later...