Spa pool detail

Kizza

Another approach yields very specific tile config.

Make a symbol each for white and blue tiles eg 3.875' sq x 1/4".

Make a class for each tile type: white full, blue full, white cut, blue cut

Build the base forms as extrudes.

Create arrays (with grout spaces) and groups of the tiles applied to the surfaces.

For the lines of cut tiles, convert symbols to groups and use the split tool.

If the lower cove is tiled with flat tiles, the base form can be an extruded, faceted poly.

HTH

-B

Wow, John Meunier, you've practically done all the work for me!! I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in Vancouver - I visit BC often.

Because I need to edit this detail (I need to draw a return wall with a different mosaic border) Benson's method is probably the better suited method.

I could probably draw this up in Revit more easily, but since I now use VW, time to get out of my comfort zone and get into extrudes.

Thanks to both of you, I'll report on my progress...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Benson, spent most of the morning trying to figure out the steps you took to create the spa detail, I haven't got very far with the cove. But I'm determined to conquer it...

Another approach yields very specific tile config.

Create arrays (with grout spaces) and groups of the tiles applied to the surfaces.

So you create the tiled group and apply to a nurbs surface as a texture?

If the lower cove is tiled with flat tiles, the base form can be an extruded, faceted poly.

I've searched through the manuals for faceted poly command - nothing! Can you let me know how you achieved the cove?

Hi, Kizza - That was a simple extrude of a poly in end view.

I made the poly with the 2d Regular Polygon Tool set to 28 faces and used the edge length mode.

The 28 faces was derived by counting tiles in your orig image and assuming the cove is a 1/4 circle. I should have left it in a Setup Layer, sorry.

I drew the full 360? poly with 4" faces, moved it into place, then traced the needed quarter with the 2d polyline tool and extruded that. Deleted the big polygon.

Something to watch for - If tiles are not separated enough OC, the grout space in the cove can get too small, or even clash/overlap. Adjusting poly faces to 4.063" in the cove area might be a good idea

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

I drew the full 360? poly with 4" faces, moved it into place, then traced the needed quarter with the 2d polyline tool and extruded that. Deleted the big polygon.

Ahh, thats clever. here I am trying to circular duplicate array the polygons, then extrude, then duplicate.

Could i also create the polygon, extrude it, and then "draw" in the tiles on the extrusion, rather than creating lots of copies?

I'm not sure how you would select the working plane though.

You could definitely draw 2d squares/polys to tile this whole thing. VWX2012 has that auto planes feature to help place things. Post back if you get that to work. The 3d tile is more revealing of real conditions, but is by no means necessary. Tile trade workers will need some license anyway. The drawing almost never perfectly describes the as-built situation.

Good luck!

-B

I'm trying to replicate Benson's approach by drawing in all tiles.

I've created a symbol, but it appears "locked" to the plane it was created in.

The rectangle is the symbol and I want to duplicate array around the circle. Under the duplicate array command, the centre on next click is disabled in the current view.

My trouble seems to be how the symbol is created and edited. Once placed, the symbol appears to be uneditable in certain views. I created the symbol in a front view but am unable to create the circular array in a side view.

Yeah, the Next Mouse Click option is limited (From Vectorworks Help):

This option is always enabled if 2D objects are selected; if 3D or hybrid objects are selected, or if both 2D and 3D objects are selected, this option is enabled only in Top/Plan view. SelectNext Mouse Click?to place the array so that its center is at the next clicked point.

You can draw a 2d tile on the ground plane, or place a 2d symbol, in top plan view, switch to side view and use the 2d rotate tool to individually rotate duplicates about center of a guide object such as a regular polygon. In any view, select all the tiles and duplicate a linear array with proper spacing.

The danger here is keeping the 2d objects from migrating to screen plane and thence to some other plane due to inattention on the screen/layer plane functions. Which is to say that I still don?t trust a 2d object in 3 space.

Of course the tiles could be planar 3d objects, such as 3d ploys or NURBS surfaces.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is my first detailed modeling task in vectorworks, learnt a lot in the process.

I'm not too familiar with creating textures at the moment. The stock textures are a little heavy for a brick wall. I want to create a very subtle brick texture for it later, but for now its done.

Its actually for a technical manual, I've attached the finished product.