Stair configuration possible in v2012?

I don't know if one can create this with the stair tool but I would think that if it could the top winder would more precisely mirror the middle winder than it does in your drawing and that would lead to more working around, I assume.

Then again maybe you just quick-sketched this thing out for query's sake?

Edited by bc

That's interesting Christiaan I had a similar stair a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't get it to work with the existing stairs, if you look carefully it has 4 winders instead of the usual 3 and that leads me to believe it must be seen as a rectangular spiral stair, on the other hand there is no such thing in the existing VWs examples. I was leaning towards doing it with 2 separate stairs on top of each other (ie. a 3 winder + a 2 winder) but never got round to trying. Let me know if you succeed somehow.

Edited by Vincent C

Ugh, I was hoping you'd tell me I was just being stupid. Should have known better. I'm trying to model my own house and refurb proposals, but as usual I'm thinking of going back to 2D because all I do is waste time on problems like this in 3D. It's so frustrating.

Just can't be done with the stair tool. And for the tool to be able to do this, it would be need to rewrite the thing because it's not based on parts like the old stair tool.

But I couldn't even do it with the Custom Stair tool (old one). When I try to add the last winder at the top it just puts it in as a straight flight.

Then again maybe you just quick-sketched this thing out for query's sake?

Yes it's just a quick sketch.

Why can't we have a stair tool like this:

http://cadimageworld.com/tools/design/stairs (see videos)

but as usual I'm thinking of going back to 2D because all I do is waste time on problems like this in 3D. It's so frustrating.

It can be frustrating at the beginning, it sometimes is still for me now, but you have to learn it. And there will always be circumstances where you will need to create a hybrid symbol for getting what you want. God thank we have hybrid symbols for that. Take windows for example, I know we have a different tool than yours, but I can assure you that most of time we can't use it and need to make hybrid symbols. Takes some time, but it's worth it when you get all your views from it, even the section.

Just don't give up and find a good way of setting up your library and standards files, then it will all come together. We now have gone so far that we can give interior 3D views from the first design proposal. All because our hybrid furniture symbols and use of all things VW can give us. You sometimes just need to go with what you can get. It will get better...

I appreciate the encouragement but it just shouldn't be frustrating. And nor is this the beginning. I've been "moving to 3D" for years.

There's a deeply ingrained culture in the VW community to blame the user: "you just need to learn it." But this isn't an issue of learning. I've been using VW for nearly 20 years. Three other experienced users, including yourself, confirmed that they couldn't do the stair. It took 60 seconds to create the stair in another CAD app, which I have perhaps 20 hours experience in.

This stair config is possible in VW 2012 but not in certain sequences. These sorts of stumbling blocks are pretty much endless in 3D VWA.

P.S. as usual I don't thank god we have hybrid symbols, for reasons I've argued ad infinitum elsewhere. I think they created the problem in the first place.

Edit: just to underline the above: as soon as I finished the above post and went back to my model, I copied a window, decreased the size and then inserted it into another wall. For some reason the "return component" is remembering the old width of the window instead of the new (see attached image). Furthermore the return component option doesn't work in 3D. I'm meant to be spending my spare time designing the refurb of my new house, but instead I spend it trying to figure out why VW isn't doing what I expect it do it.

Edited by Christiaan

There's a deeply ingrained culture in the VW community to blame the user: "you just need to learn it." But this isn't an issue of learning. I've been using VW for nearly 20 years. Three other experienced users, including yourself, confirmed that they couldn't do the stair. It took 60 seconds to create the stair in another CAD app, which I have perhaps 20 hours experience in.

I entirely agree with Christiaan here. I have been using Vectorworks for a similar amount of time and for years I've been a strong advocate. Now there are so many other user friendly packages at a comparable or cheaper price point. The competition may not have the complete overall package yet but its not far off. Vectorworks has unfortuately become a collection of old technology, half implemented ideas, user workarounds and beta versions.

Kevin

There are four stair tools if you include "Circular" and "Simple Stair" that can be found in the Tools>Building Shell folder (v.2012). These will not show up on your workspace as they are designated as Legacy tools although they are not in a Legacy folder but mixed in with other active tools. To access them you have to customize your workspace. I had to dredge out Circular Stair to do a spiral stair that was clunky but good enough. Shouldn't have to have insider knowledge to be able to draw a spiral stair.

Tom

Hi Tom, It's been a while since I had to do a Spiral. It basically worked with a Custom Stair, but I had to create the center pole/post. See attached... Sorry I can't remember all the details of how I created it, but if you PM me I would be happy to send you the file for you to look at... Happy New Year, Peter