Hello Community!

This Saturday, May 30, from 9am – 12pm EDT we will be performing maintenance on the Vectorworks Community Board. During this time, the site will be unavailable.

Sign in to follow this  
fkfoster

Question on using the ceiling grid tool

Just learning this tool & need some help. Is there a way to adjust where the grid is inside the polyline of the ceiling grid tool? I want to get rid of the small piece grid it makes.

Thanks for the help

I have another questions. Is there a way to "subtract" a space inside of the grid to show no grid?

My problem: I have a office space where all the walls go to the ceiling but the conference room which is in the middle of the plan. I want a separate grid in this room.

Just double click the ceiling grid polyline to invoke the reshape command and it works just like any other polyline; move, add, subtract vertices- add/clip surface with another polyline. Change the different ceiling grid attributes in the IOP

I think the question is still out there: if you want to adjust the grid patern itself, not the grid object, ie, move one over a few inches or add a gridline, how do you do it? It would help to have an offset entry in the OIP, or a "start here" option like the framing tool. The VW help is next to useless on this. Thanks!

When you select the object there is a single handle in the center. Grab this and move it to an edge or corner.

Thanks, I finally found that out, though nothing tells you that anywhere that I could find. When I had selected or double clicked all I got was the entire object. The Help article says to use the Re-shape tool, but in reality one should use the arrow selection tool.

After all this my real concern is that there is nothing in the Help section, which is there instead of a printed manual, the Knowledge base has nothing, and seems almost unsearchable, even though this is a regular tool and potentially important to commercial users. You think there would be SOMETHING!

When I grab the center handle it moves the interior grids and the perimeter also.

The attached shot shows the ceiling grid selected. Does something need to be turned on or off to be able to manipulate the interior grids?

Edited by jmartinarch

As it turns out I do have a question about the ceiling grid tool?

Not very often but sometimes in a 2'x4' grid where we are using 2'x4' light troffers we need to rotate the troffer in the grid. How do we cut the grid? Or do you just leave it an plop your fixture over it?