Why is OpenGL rendering slow and grainy in VW2012?

Hi Bill, I have had multiple ongoing issues with Open GL in 2012. I believe (but I'm not 100% certain) that much more load is being put on the GPU than in past versions. You will notice that we have similar iMacs, and even though mine has a 512mb GPU it still fails, stalls, freezes and crashes way more often than it should - almost always during Open GL rendering and/or while using Flyover in Open GL.

I have reported numerous bugs related to these issues. And you should too!

Hopefully the engineers will figure out how to make Open GL as smooth as it once was. Because it is the only real-time rendering mode, my day to day work is highly dependent on it

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bill,

Do you have OpenGL shadows turned on when you're using the flyover tool (View->Rendering->OpenGL Options->Use Shadows checkbox)? If so then go to Tools->Options->Vectorworks Preferences->3D pane->and drag the 3D Rotation slider all the way to the left (labeled Detailed). Or turn off shadows all together.

There were numerous problems with the quality of OpenGL shadows in Vectorworks 2011 and earlier. The shadow quality was improved for VW2012 at the expense of speed. The reduced resolution images you see (image looks pixelated/blocky/grainy) is VW trying to improve the speed of OpenGL w/ shadows by rendering a half or quarter sized image (thereby reducing the number of pixel calculations) and then upscaling that small image to fit the drawing area.

Justin

NNA