modeling solids

If you convert the cube to a Mesh object you can then use marquee select with the Selection tool to select only the vertex that you want to move and move it interactively. Tab into the floating data bar to enter precise values. Don't try using the Reshape tool - it doesn't work on mesh objects.

The only problem with this method is that you end up with twisted surfaces which will sometimes render incorrectly. To render correctly mesh surfaces need be made up of triangles so each surface is a true plane. Nurbs curves can be twisted however and thus converting to Nurbs is the better method.

It a building in the massing stage and yes...funky. I always seem to be doing funky roofs. This one I'm trying to create simple but bold lines and I'm really having an issue with it. Thus the need to pull the shape around quickly. Maybe get 5 or 6 models and let the client give some direction. But for the life of me I can't get the cube to move one vertex at a time ie lift one corner of the roof with out entering the group and shaping each face.

john t

Isn't there a function to extrude and rotate simultaneously (don't have my VWs available right now). Why not build the model a little more the way they will build it later. ie. extrude/rotate a roof and then join walls to this. You might even be able to make copies of the roof and edit the extrude settings to fit your different versions.

Or if you want a solid anyway, you could even subtract a rotated extrusion from the cube, sorry all speculation right now.......haven't tried it myself.

Funkyness is good! And VWs is good at funkyness (usually)!

Edited by Vincent C

John,

The only way I know how to do what you're looking for is with NURBS surfaces or planar surfaces. With NURBS, you can use Stitch and Trim surfaces in the Modelling menu (3D Power Pack I think, my menu is customized) to make the NURBS into a solid once you have all the faces.

I have been playing with a beta version of FormZ recently that will do what you want pretty easily. See this wish list thread for examples - http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=163641&Searchpage=1&Main=33196&Words=formZ&Search=true#Post163641

The advantage it has over something like Sketchup is that it is a true solids modeller. I've been playing with a back and forth workflow between it and Vectorworks and things translate pretty seamlessly. If you do a lot of blocked in models it may be worth checking out, especially at the moment as its a free public beta.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers,

Kevin

Guest Wes Gardner

Vincent C - Nope, very few, the "Heliport" has a couple of stairs made with the stair tool and the railing around each helipad was made from the WindowWall Tool, everything else was modeled. The Sculpture Garden is ALL modeled elements....some of the elements, like the helicopter, were based in SketchUp imported into Vectorworks and cleaned up...

Guest Wes Gardner

The textures all began as stock Vectorworks and with a little more bump here, a little more reflectivity there yields some interesting stuff, but yeah, they're all stock Veectorworks, the HDRI background was purchased because I like the cloud forms