line equations

Not easily, but possible. You would have to plot (X, Y) points in a range of function values and connect the dots with short line segments. 3D functions would be exceptionally difficult.

There are many math programs that do this function well. If you have a Mac, it ships with a Demo version of "Graphing Calculator" which is pretty astounding. It hadles 2D, 3D and even parametric equations. If you want to have an interactive calculator in VectorWorks, you have a lot of programming ahead of you.

Best wishes,Raymond Mullin

actually what I want to do is generate some random forms using equations.I don't know why, but I thought it could be interesting. Also would be to see the equations forsome of the forms vw lets me generate.

Thanks for the help.

M

Well, if you don't want elegant, here's a short script to plot a polynomial. You can edit the equation to your heart's content.

Have fun,Raymond

Procedure PlotFofX;CONST Interval = 50; StartX = -0.5; StopX = 2;VAR I :Integer; X, Y, Inc :Real;

function FofX(X :Real):Real; Begin FofX := 2*X^3 - 5*X^2 + 2*x + 1; End; { FofX }

BEGIN X := StartX; BeginPoly; MoveTo(X, FofX(X)); Inc := (StopX - StartX) / Interval; for I := 1 to Interval do begin X := X + Inc; Y := FofX(X); LineTo(X, Y); end; EndPoly;END;Run(PlotFofX);

That's impressive, but now if I wanted to start an input dialogue, such as "how wide is building? "value=A, "how long is building?"

value=b, ...... can I then take those values and direct the PIO or what? to draw what I can program values for? Thanks I am a fire protection engineer in search of answers

quote:

Originally posted by Richard:
That's impressive, but now if I wanted to start an input dialogue, such as "how wide is building? "value=A, "how long is building?"value=b, ...... can I then take those values and direct the PIO or what? to draw what I can program values for? Thanks I am a fire protection engineer in search of answers

There are plenty of ways you can do this with VectorWorks' built-in scripting language.

Check out: VectorScript Help

or specifically:VectorScript Starter PDF

Some ideas that you can try out are:

1) Ask for each value as you need it.2) Read a file in that contains each value and then work with that data.3) Read the data in from a worksheet which has been filled out.

I'm sure others can find other ideas for you as well. You may want to examine this:

VectorScript Topics

Best of luck! Lyndsey

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Lyndsey Darryl Ferguson ]

Appreciate response, even though I'm working from a Wall street 466 "IBM Copper" G3 w/512 MEG, I'm going to go to 9.5 (upgrade). I don'y need all the ME, ditto attachments/resources, can I select/TAILOR my apps as needed?

Great user board! Doing well, GUYS