AUTO SAVE DEFAULTS TO " NO " WHY?

Joey,

That's a good question. I didn't even notice that until you said something. I have sent an email to the appropriate engineer to see if I can get a good answer as to why this is, and put in a request that it gets changed back to "Yes" as the default.

Okay the word is that it was a mistake when the default was changed to 'no' in VW 9. I can tell you that this mistake has been noted and the appropriate changes will be made in the next version of VW. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how the auto save is planned to work in the next version of VW.

I apologize for the problems this mistake may be causing you. Hang in there, a change will be on it's way.

Don't know about v.9 and up, but the save reminder in 8.5.2 defaults to 'NO', and a good thing too. The reminder could always come up while the Move Page tool was being used to print a selected area of a dwg., and saving before a Revert could really foul things up. An autosave would have the same danger.

Now THAT (AutoSave to separate file) is something that makes sense! This is what M$ Word X now does.

Otherwise let me keep my NO default! There are too many things that can go wrong if you overwrite the file. Temporarily moving the page, using layer colors, b&w only, changing global scales... Depends a lot on how you work.

Save prompt definitely defaulted to NO in both VW8 AND MC7.0.1 (I'd have to hunt for earlier versions but I think the save prompt came in around v.5).

mmm

I worked with Microstation for 5 years and never lost any work whatsoever due to its immediate save function. As soon as you make a change to your document it immediately saves it meaning you dont have to worry about crashes and losing work. I have been working with Vectorworks for a few years now and have lost hours upon hours of work. There is nothing more annoying than having to draw the same thing twice or even three times in some cases. I know have my save reminder set to 5 minutes which in itself is annoying. Please Nemetschek sort this out......