Copy of Plant Database in User Folder

Could someone explain how I can make a copy of the plant database (PD) and then use the copy in my user folder? I have a user folder. I created it with user preferences. I created a copy of the PD in my PD folder and in the VW Plants folder. Should I delete the original copy? It is located in the VW Plants folder. Can I only have one PD file in my user folder? When I select Choose VW Plants only my userfolder is noted. Nothing there or under worksgroups noting my copy. Wrong setup? Where should my copy be - in the PD or VW Plants folder? When I select VW Plant Database, the filename at the top of the page is VW Plants and not Marshalls VW Plants. So I assume it is linking to the original file? I'd like to make my changes to the new file in my user folder and leave the copy of the original untouched. How do I do this? Is there a way to keep both in the user folder and control to which one I link to?

Thanks for the help.

Marshall