windows 7 vs windows xp, 64bit vs 62bit

Hello all,

I'm running a PC with windows XP, 32 bit and am considering converting to XP 64 bit, converting to windows 7 64bit, and/or purchasing a newer PC (and no, I'm not considering an apple).

Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade? If so, what kind of performance improvement did you see?

Thanks

Mike Borean

Murphys, CA

Yup recently shifted across. Old machine:- dual Xeon, 4GB memory, Quadro graphics card, Win XP (so not exactly primitive); new machine Intel i7, 16GB memory, SSD cache, FirePro7900 and Win7 64-bit. I was very un-excited about the prospect of shifting to Win7 but have to say I love it, and VW absolutely flies. Plus having oodles of memory means I can run VW and Artlantis together and more easily integrate them.

not to be the pro Apple guy here, but why not Apple. Seriously just wondering peoples reasons for their commuter choices.

And yes I'll say it "Apple Rocks"

As someone who just moved from PC to Apple Lion I would say that OS X is very overrated. If anything VW is better on Windows especially i miss full screen, pallette positioning and size of icons.

Otherwise what I produce in VW is exactly the same in Windows and OS X.

I decided to go Apple for VW because I wanted a laptop and go 64 bit. Apple offered me the better choice as it offered limited options so machine specs were standardised and 64 bit is now main stream on Mac where as its still in minority on PC. I could have bought 3 Windows machines for the price of my Mac but wanted to return to Apple that I left nearly 25 years ago (i use to develop software on Mac/Lisa) when there really was an advantage to Apple but they are so similar in capability its now it just personal preference and availability of software.

But I do like the ability to just open my MacBook on my lap and it be instantly ready to work rather than going to my office and turning on my machine 10 minutes before i need it just to leave time for Windows to get its act together.

But in reality it is the status symbol of the Apple logo on the iconic MacBook lid that unfortunately is more important to my clients than perhaps it should. I would rather have saved my money and gone with a similarly capable cheaper Windows laptop but many clients confuse individual ability with perceived success and if the first thing they see is a shiny silver MacBook and Apple logo they subconciously instantly think success. The premium price of an Apple product is a small price to pay to jump on that bandwagon.

And yes. I am a Mac convert - I now scroll my mouse the wrong way on windows and look to top/left of Window for the close button. But equally happy to use VW on Windows.

On a 64 bit machine you should see an improvement in rendering speed, as Renderworks is 64 bit.

win7 is a great operating system, better than Vista. I have had no problems running it on my HP laptop (side dig: My laptop is also brushed aluminum, and the HP on the front glows too!). I know that a lot of people are fond of xp and wary of upgrades due to the Vista debacle, but 7 for me would be an easy choice.

In general you should find that the OS is snappier, starts up faster, finds more devices, has fewer problems with software.