Gradient is grainy when I export to PDF

Your help will be much appreciated.

When I export a 2d drawing with gradient fills to PDF (even at 300dpi) I get a grainy looking fill in the PDF viewer.

On screen in Vectorworks the fill is smooth & fine.

The PDF prints no problem i.e. no grainy effect.

I've tried various combinations under Preferences/Display/Quartz imaging + Anti Aliasing but still end up with the same result.

Am I missing something here?

Matt, Are you printing from a Design Layer or a Sheet Layer? If you haven't yet tried it, make Viewport of your drawing and place it on a Sheet Layer. Go to the Organization Dialog/ Sheet Layer tab and make sure that the Sheet layer is set to at least 300 dpi. Let us know if this makes any difference.

Next question would be how you created the gradient, and if that's to only thing in your file/drawing that doesn't print clearly... If this is the case then I'd love to see the file and poke around a bit. You never know where bugs are lurking...

Peter,

It is from a design layer.

At home now and dongle is at work so will double check dpi of sheet layer in the morning.

Whats odd is that depending on the size/shape of the object the gradient fill is ok.

I'll get back to you 1st thing in the morning. In the meantime attached image showing larger area and problem as I just explained.

Thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

Matt

Hi All,

I adjusted document prefs to 300 dpi. I made sure sheet layer was 300 dpi.

Same problem - grainy gradient.

I've attached the file, I would love to solve this as it's been bugging us a while - although some clients think it's done on purpose to illustrate the wood grain :blush:

Thanks

Matt